The different types of lower face lifts? (photo)

I am thinking of a lower face lift I'm 46 and theres not much sagging but on certain photos or at certain angels I can see the sagging and I hate it - my family say they cant see it and I understand that as its minimal but want to know what the best options would be for me - the photo isn't a great one to show the sagging but the only one I want to share

The different types of lower face lifts?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  From the current photos, I suspect that your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is a slight amount of excess fat in front of the cheeks (this is pulled upward onto the cheeks with smiling) and jowls do appear to be are present.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Spot liposuction would be combined to further shape the cheeks and face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

The best recommendations would come during an in-office examination and review of your medical history and discussion of your goals.  For modest laxity non-surgical measures like Ultherapy and Botox can be effective options for the neck.  Surgical procedures can range from mini-lifts or a more corrective lower face/necklift depending on the degree of laxity and you overall aesthetic goals.

The attached link provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Possible lower facelift

It is a bit difficult to fully evaluate you for a possible lower face lift with only the photo you provided.  You may not be a good surgical candidate yet, and if so, there are some non-surgical options.  There are several radio frequency devices that could help such as Fractora RF or FaceTite.  Ultherapy is another option that uses ultrasound and it can provide some subtle improvement.  If surgery is an option, it is possible to focus the improvement to the lower face.     

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon