6 weeks post op Thigh Lift, I have no improvement on thighs but visible scar. Can I do anything to correct this? (photos)

I had a thigh lift 6 weeks ago, The circumference of my thighs is exactly the same as pre-op (still 21inches) If my legs are still swollen from the liposuction then surely if they "go down" then my skin tone will get worse? For the first 3 weeks the scar looked great - but now it has moved down my leg about 1/2 inch and will be visible when wearing a swimsuit - will the scar continue to slip down my thigh? Can I do anything to correct this?

Wound Healing Is A Dynamic Process Which Takes Time

It's not unusual for patients to be concerned about scarring following thigh lift surgery. The scars following this procedure are potentially long and aren't easily hidden. In some cases, these scars may even be mal-positioned. Add significant post-operative swelling to the equation and you now have the perfect formula for post-operative anxiety.

I believe this describes your situation following your thigh lift procedure. It's important to realize that wound healing is a dynamic process that can take 12 to 18 months to reach completion. During this process, scars lose their redness and swelling gradually resolves.

It's virtually impossible to assess your surgical results after only six weeks of recovery. Significant changes will occur in your result over the next six months.

During this time period, it's important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan once your situation has stabilized. This plan should address your anatomic findings and, hopefully, achieve your aesthetic goals.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Early recovery after thigh lift

Recovery after body contouring surgery takes some time, typically 6 months for most of the swelling to resolve and over a year for the scars to mature. Thigh lift is no exception. At 6 weeks after thigh lift surgery, you are still early in your recovery. There is still swelling present. This should slowly decrease following surgery. If liposuction was used to help contour the area, then you will typically experience even more swelling and this will also take time to resolve.

The scar can migrate slightly down the inner thigh during recovery, however, it should not drift downwards indefinitely. The degree of circumferential narrowing of the thigh will depend on what was done during thigh lift; was liposuction used, was there are vertical scar component in addition to a horizontal scar component. If liposuction was used, you should see a circumferential narrowing of the thigh but this may take 3-4 months to appreciate as there can be a lot of swelling after liposuction. A vertical scar component will allow more circumferential narrowing than a horizontal scar component alone.

Be sure to communicate your concerns with your surgeon and follow the postoperative instructions.

Jamil Ahmad, MD