Had Restylane in/around my mouth/chin area and Botox in my forehead. I have now developed a coldsore. Is this a coincidence?

Cold Sores and Fillers

Thank you for your question. Cold sores are caused when dormant viruses living in nerve cells are activated. This can happen with stress, UV light and trauma, such as injection. Any procedure around the mouth can trigger a cold sore. If you have a history of cold sores, please make sure to notify your doctor before having any procedure done. This is so an anti-viral medication can be prescribed. I hope this helps. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Cold Sores and Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Cold Sores and Fillers

Cold Sores are usually due to a Herpes virus that continues to live in your sensory nerve cells and then comes out to cause a cold sore during times of stress such as illness, sunburn, fever, or even injections. Next time consider taking an antiviral medication to in advance to minimize this from happening again.

Cold Sores and Fillers

Had Restylane in and around the mouth and chin area.

Thank you for your question. If you are already prone to cold sores, it is common to develop one after injections. Prior to injections you may want to discuss taking valtrex to curb the likelihood of this happening again.

Restylane and cold sores

Restylane is a great product for injecting around the mouth and chin area.  Some patients are more prone to developing cold sores than others.  If you are prone to these cold sores then it is a good idea for you to take Valtrex when you have these lip injections.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Restylane and injections.

Restylane and cold sores

People that are prone to cold sores need prophylaxis when getting filler in or around the mouth

It is no coincidence that you got a cold sore. Everyone that has a history of cold sores needs Valtrex or generic for a few doses when being injected in the lips or around the mouth. It also needs to be done for RF and laser treatments as well.  People with history of shingles need a longer treatment. You can still breakthrough despite prophylaxis and then you need higher dosed of the antiviral. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Cold sore after injection

If you have a history of cold sores, it is relatively common to develop one after injections in or around the lips and mouth.It is best to take an antiviral the day of and for three days after treatment to help prevent an outbreak of this type. Nothing is 100% effective in preventing an outbreak after injection, but in my experience pretreating will most likely keep you from developing a cold sore.

Cold sore after injection