What are the pros and cons of having facelift and blepharoplasty done together?

I am looking into getting blepharoplasty done soon and possibly face lift at a later date. I have under eye hollows caused partially by some cheek descent (I am 56). A couple of surgeons have said f/lift would be better to address this but don't feel I am ready for this yet and not 100% sure about f/lift. What are the pros and cons of doing procedures separately and is there any point doing lower blepharoplasty if you are going to be doing f/lift and thereby lifting the cheeks

Pros & Cons of Combining Facial Procedures

Yes, it is possible to #combine facelift and blepharoplasty. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result.

All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. However, based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. The first step is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Should I have lower lids done at the time of a facelift?

Dear Jenni

Many thanks for posting your question.

There is no absolute right or wrong about this, and there are pros and cons to having the procedures done together and separately.

Personally, I prefer to do them together, as the lift of the mid-face as part of the facelift can help support the lower lids, allowing for a better result in this area. It can also mean that a less aggressive or invasive lower lid operation is needed to achieve a good result, due to the extra support.

One thing to point out is that in some people, when the facelift is done with a good mid-face component, if the lower lids are not done at the same time, it can increase lower lid skin wrinkling (often temporarily).

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision

Under eye hollows can be corrected with or without surgery

Treatment of hollows under the eyes is complicated. That is because the hollowing is partly due to loss of facial fat as well as drooping of the cheek tissue. Depending on your particular anatomy, the approaches can be very different from person to person. If you have lost a significant amount of fat, then just lifting the cheeks (mid-face lift) will only have a modest improvement. My approach to this very challenging area has evolved over the years to where now I add volume in almost every surgical case, and often just add volume along without surgically lifting. With the new long-lasting fillers that have become available, many patient scan have dramatic improvement without surgical intervention.

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Benefits of combining procedures

Thank you for your question.  There are two main benefits to combining procedures.  First, it can reduce the overall cost as you are only paying one anesthesia and/or operating room cost and second you will only have one recovery.  Some facelift techniques may help restore lost volume in the cheeks,  a facelift typically won't improve the appearance just below the eyes. Combining blepharoplasty with a facelift is very common and can also improve your overall appearance and give you a more harmonious look. The benefit of doing the procedures separately is that you may find the eyelid surgery alone creates the appearance that you want. Also, make sure that you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and have an in person consultation.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Benefits of combining procedures

There are two main benefits to combining procedures. One, it can reduce the overall cost as you are only paying one anesthesia and/or operating room cost (depending on the procedures) and two, you only have to deal with one recovery. However, if you are not ready to commit to a facelift then don't feel rushed. A facelift won't address under eye hallows anyway so there is no downside to postponing it if you aren't ready.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Thank you for your question. The benefit of doing more than one procedure at one time are the reduced costs (one payment for surgeon, anesthesiologist, surgery center), and one round of healing. The potential con is not being ready for both procedures. If you would prefer to wait to see the improvements from one of the procedure, then it may seem overwhelming to do both procedures at once. That said, you should consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The consultation will offer both patient and surgeon the opportunity to hold an in-person examination, understand your desires more completely, and determine suitable treatment options.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Procedures Has Benefits

Some facelift techniques (which can be customized to address various concerns) may help restore lost volume in the cheeks, but a facelift typically won't improve the appearance just below the eyes. Combining blepharoplasty with a facelift is very common, because signs of aging are seldom limited to the cheeks and below. What's more, a combined procedure means you'll only have to recover from a single operation, and you'll see a potential cost savings (versus having 2 separate procedures) by paying certain fees only once. Conversely, the benefit of doing the procedures separately is that you may find the eyelid surgery alone creates the appearance that you want. There is no wrong way to approach this; the decision is entirely yours. Good luck.

Facelift and lower lid bleph

A facelift does not address issues with the lower eyelid.  In fact, a facelift that properly raises the cheek soft tissues, may cause more lower eyelid skin redundancy, making a lower eyelid bleph more necessary.  If there are issues with fat herniation and excess skin in the lower eyelid, it is best to do it with the facelift to have a single recovery period.  

Benefits of combined cosmetic procedures.

Assuming you are a good candidate for these procedures, the  benefits of combining procedures can be an enhanced and balanced result with simultaneous recovery time. Sometimes procedures have a synergistic effect. Many times there is a cost savings. What is most important is that the procedures selected address your concerns.  Obviously your operation will take longer and your may have additional restrictions during recovery when more procedures are performed. 

Stephen Fink, DO FAOCO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Often it makes sense to do eyes and face and even a brow lift in the same procedure. An excellent board certified surgeon should be consulted before undergoing these procedures. Ask your surgeon to show you photos of patients also having undergone these procedures in one surgery. An experienced surgeon will only recommend this when he/she feels the benefit of one procedure alone won't bring you the desired result. Good luck.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon