I was wondering if you've ever heard of the "Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation"?

Most doctors say, that this technique should be already used amongst plastic surgeons who performs breast argumentation. The technique consists of making the breast implant pocket with gentle technique without blunt ripping of the tissues produces much less pain and inflammation. What are you thoughts?

Rapid Recovery

Thank you for your question. The overall goal of Rapid Recovery is to minimize the use of strong pain medications, medical devices (like drainage tubes or pain pumps) and allow you to resume your normal activities within a short amount of time. Careful dissection and cautery reduce tissue trauma and bleeding, while the use of proportionately sized implants and following your surgeon’s post-operative healing regimen also help lead to a faster recovery. Many Board certified, specialised Plastic Surgeons use these techniques as standard. As your Plastic Surgeon to discuss their approach with you.

All the best

I don't think anyone can offer a "Flash Recovery" for all patients but there are things that can be done to lessen pain and discomfort after surgery. Most surgeons do use gentle techniques so ask your surgeon what specifically is done differently. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Re-Inventing the Wheel!

It is not uncommon for surgeons to "Tag"a clever name to a standard technique used by many to try to stand out in a crowd. Do not choose your plastic surgeon because of slick marketing tools! Do your homework and find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience to help you achieve your goals. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Flash Breast Aug

As it name suggests, this is a marketing gimmick. Any reputable surgeon performs a breast augmentation with "gentle dissection". Don't be caught up in the marketing but make sure your a comfortable with the surgeon you choose.

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi Sincere,

Yes the flash recovery BA originated in Dallas by Dr. Tebbett's under another name, and was renamed by a great surgeon, Dr. Ashkan Ghavami, from Beverly Hills.  We ALWAYS use this approach, which actually involves many steps.  See the journal article which I wrote and the video. I believe your PS is on the right track.  Good luck!  Dr. Joe

No surgeon will tell you they are rough on tissues or a sloppy dissector!

For all but two of the past ten years, breast enlargement (also called breast augmentation, breast enhancement with implants, or augmentation mammoplasty) has been the most common surgical cosmetic operation performed in the United States—over 305,000 women requested this operation in 2015, up 202 percent from 1997 [American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons Data]. 

Since 2004, breast enlargement has been the most frequently performed operation in my private practice at Minneapolis Plastic Surgery, Ltd. Superior anesthesia care, advanced surgical techniques, and the care of our fantastic nursing and office staff allow my breast augmentation patients to return to everyday activities within 24 hours, and strenuous activities within several weeks.

If marketing hype and “snappy” trademarked names were important, perhaps we too would call our procedure the “Overnight Recovery Augmentation,” the “24-hour Recovery Breast Enlargement,” or the “Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation,” as have other doctors. Some of them have written articles in the plastic surgical literature about minimizing surgical trauma with careful surgery, and the resultant advantages of less pain and bruising, as well as improved healing and less complications. But precise surgical technique and outstanding patient care leading to rapid and comfortable recovery is nothing new or something with a “special name”—this is the way I (and many of my colleagues) have been doing things all along.

What sets us apart is the fact that we have chosen to continue to elevate the care and technical details of breast enlargement surgery, rather than devise or advertise a “brand-name” operation that tries to imply a “special” or unique secret that no other plastic surgeon has–some hidden talent that supposedly transforms patients into someone who has “more rapid” healing, “no” pain, and can return to all activity “magically” the next day!  This is pure marketing (baloney), and may be a cover for substandard or “assembly-line as fast as you can” surgical practices.

Careful tissue handling, meticulous hemostasis (control of bleeding capillaries), avoidance of rib or muscle injury, and skillful use of medications designed to keep discomfort and anesthesia side effects to an absolute minimum are what we concentrate our efforts on; this is what allows a safe, quick, and comfortable recovery, not a gimmicky procedure name! Choose your surgeon carefully, and you may want to look carefully at those who feel compelled to "advertise" what should indeed be "standard" practice! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

"Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation"

Thank you for your question.  Every breast augmentation should be performed with meticulous dissection so as to prevent tearing or ripping of tissue.  Doing so prevents excessive bleeding and trauma to tissue which decreases postop bruising and swelling.  Unfortunately, it is all too common for plastic surgeons or other physicians who perform cosmetic surgery to make claims that what they do is something different or special to set them apart and attract potential patients.  Continue to do your homework and don't believe everything you hear or read.  Check surgeon qualifications, reviews, before/after photos, etc.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

What is a flash recovery following breast augmentation?

Isn't it wonderful that you were able to find a doctor who can or does what other highly qualified Plastic Surgeons don't do in their practice! All of us who believe that we practice a very high standard of Plastic Surgery in our respective regional areas of the country are very familiar with local members in our specialty who make the same claims.  With all respect, don't believe it!  Do your homework, get several serious opinions from reputable doctors in your area, and feel confident that you will make the correct  decision.

Good luck to you.

Frank rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Flash recovery augmentation

Thank you for your question.   I believe most well trained plastic surgeons do exactly as you suggest and treat the pockets gently.   Careful dissection without causing too much trauma to the underlying ribs will go along way toward minimizing discomfort.  Most of my patients describe more of a tight feeling rather than pain due to the muscle stretch.  Other techniques such as local anesthetic injection and use of anti-inflammatory medications will also help.  I think most of the quick recovery protocols are marketing tactics as most patients are back to normal within a few days.  Best wishes.

Do not be fooled by catchy terms

"Flash recovery", "24 hour breast augmentation" and many other names are just marketting terms used to glorify surgeons and to mislead patients.  Pay no attention to such hypes. Breast augmentation is a simple operation with easy recovery for all.

Vasdev Rai, MD