Why did I wake up with an eye bag on one side only when I had the surgery 1 month ago on September 7th? (Photos)

I had a lower bleph on sept 7th and everything has been fine and progressed as expected, however this morning I woke up with an eye bag on the left side only. Is this normal or should I contact the MD? What can I do to resolve this issue? Thanks

Tough to say for certain without name evaluation in the office but to just now get the swelling is unusual and can be from increased salt intake, injury, or strenuous activity that caused rupture of a previously sealed blood vessel. I would see your surgeon to evaluate and discuss it further. 

Hope that helps and best of luck! 

-Dr. Donath 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why do I have swelling after lower eyelid surgery?

Healing activity and therefore swelling can be visible even several months after surgery. You may just have a little increase in your swelling that accumulated preferentially to that side. I would give your surgeon a visit if it doesn't go away in 24-48 hours. 

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling one month out

Swelling can occur up to 3 months after lower lid surgery.  Often if you sleep in the same position for a long time the side of your face facing the mattress will end up more swollen.  You should notice that the swelling improves as the day goes on.  If the area remains the same I recommend seeing your surgeon. Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after Eyelid Surgery

Swelling is common after every operation. Eyelid surgery happens to be performed under the thinnest skin on the body, so swelling ends to be more noticeable. It can takes weeks to months for the swelling to settle down depending on what needed to be done and how your body heals. Elevating, ice, rest and lymphatic massage can help. 

Painless swelling that is only on one side may be do to slightly more injury on one side, or from sleeping with that side down. If the swelling resolves during the day with elevation, it should continue to become less noticeable. If the swelling is painful, enlarging and not resolving be certain that your plastic surgeon is aware of the issue. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Eye bags

Swelling may be contributing to what you are seeing, being that you are only one month out from surgery. Be patient.

Post Op Swelling from Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

You are still very early (1 month) in the recovery period after lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Your current photos look appropriate to me.  Often if you happen to sleep on one side you will awaken with swelling dependent on your position. This sort of swelling will resolve over a few hours during the day when you are upright.  But this effect is combined with the normal healing process that must take place over the next 6 months to 1 year.  Please be patient and consult with your surgeon for further questions.  Best of luck in your healing!!

Damon B. Chandler, MD
Moorestown Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid surgery

Swelling after eyelid surgery is very common. This can occur and disappear and reappear for months after surgery depending on how you sleep, exercise, activity level, etc. Inform you doctor about this but likely time will take care of this over 6-9 months. 

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bags 1 month after eyelid surgery

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Swelling usually is the result disrupted pathways secondary to surgery. sometimes the swelling is positional. Massage and head elevation

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey