Undereye hollows, bags, and juvederm

I saw a plastic surgeon today to see what could be done about undereye hollows, puffiness and dark circles. He recommended lower bleph surgery or juvederm. He said the surgery would give the best results for the puffiness, but that I could do juvederm because it would definitely make it look better. I am pretty sure about doing the juvederm first because the surgery scares me right now. I am jut not ready to take that big of a step. Do you think I am making the right decision?

Non-surgical vs Surgical Options

Great question!   No doubt the more permanent treatment to remedy under-eye hollowness will be the surgical option, although with it comes its own disadvantages ( cost, down-time, expectations). We like to do a deep filler like Radiesse or Voluma to eliminate the mid-face flattening that can magnify the under eye circles and then Belotero or Restylane Silk to smooth them more superficially.Explore all you options!

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Please see an expert for treatment as this area would need reversal with hyaluronidase if you are unhappy.  

There is no question that fillers can be a fantastic option.

However, the choice of a smooth filler like Juvederm is a mistake.  These products migrate and shift.  Products like Restylane are much less prone to this. For that reason, Restylane is my preferred choice for the under eye area.  It is critical that you have this service from someone who knows what they are doing and the choice of the right filler product is an essential first step.

Lower lid bags

Photos would be helpful.  If you are not ready to have a surgery then fillers are a great option.  Juvederm is not the filler of choice for the lower lids.  If you look through Realself you will see many issues with Juvederm in the tear trough.  IT can cause prolonged edema for some people.  Not sure why people keep injecting it into this area.  Better option is Restylane.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers for tear troughs

Thank you for posting your question. Using a filler when appropriate for the tear trough region is a good idea instead of surgery. It is less invasive and has fewer risks. On the other hand, it needs to be repeated every 6-9 months to maintain results. Restylane is preferable to Juvederm due to less risk of swelling and Tyndall effect (blue discoloration). See an experienced injector who specializes in this delicate region.  Good luck,