Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty? (Photos)

My nose is very broad and flat. The bridge is wide and the tip is flat with no definition or structure. I think I would benefit from a full rhinoplasty but I was wondering if my nose could be improved with a tip rhinoplasty only?

Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty?

Improving a broad flat nose and refining the tip are frequent requests of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or an artistically performed natural appearing full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

In-Person Consultation Needed

Thanks for your question. It's tough to say exactly how to remedy your nose without an in-person consultation, but in general, a tip rhinoplasty can work well for some patients. This is a common request, and a qualified facial plastic surgeon will be able to give you a definite answer after examining your nose in person. 

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for improving a broad, flat nasal appearance.

African American rhinoplasty surgery may involve tip narrowing, nostril narrowing, bridge narrowing, and bridge raising to achieve a narrower, less distracting appearance. Consider consulting with several rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you. Hope this helps. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

More views of your face would be helpful, but in general, you are probably better off with a full rhinoplasty to narrow it.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and I would go on complimentary consultations where they take your photo digitally and then alter it to show you what can be accomplished with your nose so yo can make an informed decision and know ahead of time how you might look

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tip rhinoplasty versus full rhinoplasty

Most patients require a full rhinoplasty to narrow the entire nose.  When patients have wide nasal bones, osteotomies can accomplish narrowing them.  A cartilage graft can be inserted along the bridge line to help with the broad and  flat nasal bones.  An alar-plasty can accomplish narrowing wide nostrils.  For more information and many before and after results of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below 

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD