Surgery 5 days before Christmas. Will I feel well enough for a family gathering?

I'm scheduled to have 265-286cc (dr will decide) silicone moderate round under the muscle augmentation on December 20. I'm a healthy and fit 47 year old. One of my concerns is how I will feel i on Christmas Day. I'm not planning to tell anyone about the surgery. Will I feel well enough for a family gathering 5 days post op?

Post Op Activities

You can expect to be sore still at that point after surgery. Many of my patients are no longer taking pain medication 4-5 days post op but will still be swollen and sore to touch. You will need to be aware of certain activity restrictions as per your Plastic Surgeon's instruction but you can  likely attend. Ask your Plastic Surgeon if you have specific concerns.

All the best

Breast Augmentation

Hi & thank you for your question.

You will most likely  be sore, swollen, and have tenderness. It's Fine to attend a family gathering as long as you are careful and continue to follow all your surgeons instructions. Best wishes and happy holidays!

Post Op Breast Augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I tell this to all my patients because it is true. "Everyone has a different post operative experience". I have some patients that the day after surgery are ready to get back to the regular routine and other that it takes two weeks or even three (albeit rare!). While no one can guarantee that you feel well enough for your gathering, I would suspect you will feel up to it. Best of luck!

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

New breasts for Christmas

If you are having augmentation five days before Christmas, you probably should be fine for a family gathering, just don't carve the turkey. You will still be sore, and may still be occasionally taking pain medication. I generally allow my patients to drive and do sedentary activities three days after surgery. I would recommend that you discuss your plans with your surgeon. Merry Christmas!

Breast augmentation

At five days after a breast augmentation you will likely be pretty sore.  You should be able to go to a family gathering but I would be careful.

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Thank you very much for your question, and congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation. In general, you can expect your breast augmentation recovery to take from one to two weeks. Most women find that the majority of post-op discomfort resolves over the first two to three days. However, you can still expect to have swelling and tenderness in your chest. Aside from being tired, you will also have activity restrictions for several weeks. This includes no heavy lifting (children included) and no strenuous exercise for four to six weeks. Also, please remember that everyone’s recovery progress is different. If you have any further questions, I would advise you to speak with your operating surgeon

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast augmentation 5 days before Christmas?

Thank you for your questions.  I can't speak for your surgeon, however my typical patient feels reasonably well after 2-3 days (not taking any narcotic pain meds except at night for sleep). Most patients do reasonable well returning to work or social activity after this period of time also, as long as their work is not physically demanding, you take it easy, and don't do anything overly strenuous. Many of my patients have returned to a desk-type job on Monday or Tuesday after a breast augmentation on Thursday or Friday. I recommend taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen for soreness and icing frequently. 

Usually my patients can be back to light, lower body, non-impact exercise (stationary bike or legs-only eliptical) within 10 days to 2 weeks after your breast augmentation and back to the same level of activity and exercise you were doing on the day before your procedure by 4-5 weeks after. I would encourage you discuss this further with your board certified plastic surgeon to explore your treatment options and post-procedure activity limitation.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though you will feel much better by 5 days, it is likely that you will show signs of a recent operation - hugging will be difficult, movement of your upper arms may be limited or elicit pain, and you will be more easily fatigued.  You can certainly attend a family function but you will need to limit your activity to ensure your comfort.  Hope this helps.

Recovery after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  At five days, the vast majority of patients will feel well enough to host a family gathering.  Especially if you are fit and healthy.  You will probably still have some tightness, but I suspect you will off any narcotic medications and can stick with tylenol or motrin.   Best to check with your surgeon regarding lifting and activity restrictions.  Good luck.  

Breast implant surgery 5 days prior to Christmas

Typically patients will have significant limitations 5 days after breast augmentation surgery.  Family hugs can be painful after a BAM!  Still, I am always surprised at how clever patients are at hiding their surgeries!

Brent Moelleken, MD