What size will I be after breast reduction?

I am contemplating getting a breast reduction. I am currently a size 36F, 5'6" and weight about 135lbs. My doctor said he needs to take 500g of tissue from each breast to get it covered by insurance. What size will that likely put me at? What does 500g of tissue look like?

Breast Reduction/Breast lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Reduction advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

I recommend you to send your photos to us cause there are many other parameters beside the height and weight lo determine the volume of tissue that has to be remove.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Your question causes me considerable concern because of the statement you attribute to your surgeon. Breast reduction is a wonderful procedure that has changed patients lives in a very good way by not only giving them a more comfortable physique but also by creating an attractive breast. We try to meet a patient's size goals if possible but none of us can ever guarantee a cup size as there is no such thing. For example, a "C" on 5 different patients will be 5 different sizes and looks. Cup size is nothing more than a proportion. And when we are doing the procedure we have to leave tissue behind to create an attractive look as well as to leave adequate nerve supply for feeling and blood supply so the remaining tissue survives. So to say we will remove a specific number of grams of tissue to meet an insurance companies artificial requirements no matter what look or size that leaves is to abandon the goals noted above. Either you misunderstood your surgeon or else you may want to look around for another doctor. 500 grams could be too much for a patient of your weight, or maybe not. Without an exam or photos no one on this site could comment on weight specifics. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Size after reduction

Thank you for your question. Predicting breast size after a reduction is difficult. Bras very greatly such that a c cup in one brand may be a d in another. The goal of a breast reduction is to create   smaller, symmetrical and proportial breasts that best suit your body type. The result is typically  uplifted, smaller, firmer breasts that maintain a feminine silhouette. Insurance will often cover the surgery if there is proper documentation from your primary care physician about chronic neck, back, shoulder pain, shoulder strap grooving and or skin excoriation under the breasts. In my experience, insurance will often deny coverage. If this occurs, and your surgeon is supportive, a peer to peer review with the insurance doctor may be sought. I have never been turned down after getting to this stage of an appeal. It takes some time, but I believe it is worth it as breast reduction has about the highest satisfaction rate of all plastic surgery procedures. 
Good luck to you, 

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.