I'm 4 days post op BA - reassurance please! (photo)

have 345cc in left & 385cc in right, right is really tight still which ps did say would feel like this for a while, I just want some reassurance that they looking like they're healing ok? Right breast feels so much tighter, am I panicking over nothing?

Post Op Reassurance

Thank you for your question and photo. It is quite common for each breast to feel a bit different- especially when two different sizes have been implanted. For the first few weeks post op, your tissues will be swollen, tight and a bit distorted. The drop and fluff process will take between 2-6 months. You appear to be on track. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have ongoing concerns.

All the best

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Early post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post Op Healing

You seem to look great for 4 days after surgery. Yes you are panicking over nothing- give your body time to heal! Your right implant is 40cc larger and it will feel tighter for quite sometime. Particularly if you are right handed.

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Reassurance after breast augmentation...

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Panic Attack

Don't panic. I hope you can trust your doctor because he/she will know best what is normal for you specifically. The swelling shown in the picture looks pretty normal. Try to relax and let your body heal. It will be worth it!

Mary Gingrass, MD

Reassurance after Breast Augmentation

Take a deep breath. It is very early after surgery and completely normal for the breasts to feel swollen, tight, and unnatural. Based on your photo everything looks as it should at this point and I anticipate you will love your result as things settle. You look great! The soft tissues will recover and soften, the implants will settle into the pocket and within weeks you will be a lot more comfortable. If you have any lingering concerns be sure to discuss them with your surgeon. Best wishes!

I'm 4 days post op BA - reassurance please!

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, your breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  As the swelling resolves, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Panicking after breast augmentation

Many patients feel stressed and anxious after surgery; even when things are going well.  From what I can tell, everything looks fine at this point and your PS has done a great job.  Your PS is correct in that you will feel like the right one is tighter since it has the larger implant.  Over time, everything should settle down and they should feel about the same.