Pre-Requirements, etc., before Augumentation?

Thinking about getting breast surgery within the next month, but I have a few questions beforehand. Following research of doctors, I see some offers "Breast Implants" AND a "Breast Augumentation." Does these procedures differs? I am 28, no kids, but I am currently taking high blood pressure medicine and I also smoke. I am 5'8-5'9 and I weight 169-172. Am I a good candidate for such surgery? How long does one have to stop smoking prior to the surgery?

Breast Augmentation and Smoking

Greetings. The majority of breast augmentations are placement of implants, be it saline or silicone. The breasts can also be augmented with fat, where fat is liposuctioned from one part of your body- the fat is processed- and then placed into the breast. Given your young age and your dimensions- you sound like a good candidate- although you would need to be seen and evaluated in person. Your smoking can be problematic, in that smoking can cause potential wound healing problems. I personally recommend to my patients that they quit for at least 6 weeks before proceeding with any elective surgery. As for your blood pressure, as long as your pressure is well controlled- this should not be a problem. I recommend you seek the care of a board certified plastic surgeon who is well versed in performing this procedure. Good Luck.

Nanuet Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

thank you for your question.  There is no real difference between a breast augmentation and placement of breast implants.  I would certainly recommend that you follow up with a board certified plastic surgeon to perform this procedure so as to ensure you have somebody who is properly trained performing this procedure. Every surgeon is different but I would recommend that you quit tobacco use at least 6 weeks preoperatively and postoperatively to avoid any potential complications. I would also recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician to make sure that your blood pressure is under control prior to any elective cosmetic surgery. Best of luck.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation in a Smoker with High Blood Pressure

First, there is no difference in a "Breast Augmentation" and "Breast Implants." While considering the procedure, make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon since many physicians doing this procedure do only it and cannot care for any other problem you may have. With your smoking and hypertension, you will need to stop smoking at least a month before the surgery and you will need a pre-op evaluation by your normal physician. Additionally, you should have an anesthesiologist oversee your anesthesia, whether it is general to local with sedation. Once you have had the surgery, do yourself a HUGE favor and do not start back smoking. You are obviously concerned about your looks, and smoking is the one thing that does the most to destroy your looks and age you. Also, stopping will help your hypertension. Occasionally that and dietary modification to less salt intake can even get you off HBP meds.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for Breast Augmentation

Hi! Thanks for asking. If you're planning on having any type of surgery you should stop smoking. In regards to breast augementation I like my patients to stop two weeks prior and two weeks post-op. If you require a lift or more extensive surgery you will have to stop about 4 weeks before surgery. Best of luck to you.

Breast surgeries

Implants and augmentation are really the same thing. I would recommend trying to cut back or quit smoking before surgery and have atleast two consultations prior to deciding on a surgeon 

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Breast augmentation is the procedure by which women increase their breast size, while breast implants are the medical devices - saline or silicone - that are used during the augmentation.  Most women are candidates for a breast augmentation and I would recommend stopping smoking for at least 4 weeks prior to surgery.  Hope this helps.

Breast implants vs breast augmentation

Hello, these terms often mean the same thing.  However, by definition "breast implants" means increasing the size with implants, but "breast augmentation" could mean augmenting the size of the breasts with implants or another method like fat grafting.

Breast Augmentation

Beast augmentation and breast implants are the same thing. Stop smoking now. The longer time you take off smoking before surgery the more you decrease your risk of complications due to the smoking. Most surgeons ask patients to quit smoking anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months before surgery. The longer the better.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Preoperative Assessment

Thank you for your question. First, Breast Augmentation refers to increasing the size of your breasts and this can be done with implants (Saline or Gel) or your own fat. Breast Implants refers specifically to augmentation with implants (either saline or gel). Second, as for requirements, each surgeon and practice has different requirements. In our practice we ask for a CBC (complete blood count) and mammogram. Smoking is associated with significantly higher risk of complications following this procedure (or any procedure). In our practice we will perform the procedure but we ask you to acknowledge these increased risks on a second consent. Good Luck with your procedure. 

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician