Pre-Qualifications before Lipo to stomach and transfer to hips?

Hi, I am interested in having lipo on my entire stomach and a fat transfer to the hips. I'd like to know how involved is this surgery compared to a breast implants/augumentaion? Healing time, pain, greater complications, etc.? I am 28, no kids, currently take blood pressure pills (don't think I still need them), and I also smoke. How long does a patient have to refrain from smoking prior to this type of surgery (lipo, fat transfer)? Also, am I a good candidate? I'm 5'8-5'9 ish' and I weight 169-172.

I would recommend that you stop smoking 1 month before surgery and for the entire recovery period.  The pain will be dependent upon the amount of fat removed and the amount of fat transferred.

Liposuction with fat transfer to hips

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• You definitely should stop smoking for 6 weeks before and after fat transfers if at all possible.
  • The recovery is a bit easier than breast augmentation if the implants were under the muscle.
  • You will not have the intense muscle pain typical of under-muscle implants.
  • But you will hurt for about 3 days and you need to rest completely for a full week.
  • You can't lie on your hips at all for 2 full weeks.
  • Without a photo, one can't say if you are a good candidate but chances are the answer is 'yes.'
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question.  Fat grafting involves performing liposuction of diet and exercise resistant areas of the body (typically the abdomen, waist, hips, and back), followed by processing and purifying the fat before injecting it back into the body - in your case your hips.  This fat can be used to recontour the region,  adding volume and firmness.  Pain is typically less than with a breast augmentation but will last for a longer period of time.  Because of the delicate nature of fat grafts I would recommend stopping smoking for at least 6 weeks or longer before surgery.  Hope this helps.