Need opinions on alarplasty.. Any suggestions? (photos)

This question is to get an opinion of a professional surgeon..Looking at my photos, How many mm should be removed during a alarplasty?? Your reply is greatly appreciated..

alar plasty procedure

A thorough examination of the nose is required to determine how many millimeters of skin need to be removed at the base of the nostrils. In our practice, we have removed anywhere from 2-10 millimeters on each side.

Alarplasty suggestion

Thank you for your question and photographs.  After viewing your photographs, in my opinion, I would start with a 4 mm reduction and perform a preview suture to see if this looks good.  If it appears that more tissue can be excised, an excision of up to 6 mm would be appropriate.  Best wishes in your endeavors!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

It can only be estimated at time of physical exam

You will need to consult with a plastic surgeon in your area. Only at time of an actual physical exam this estimate is made.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Alarplasty

Alarplasty comes in all different shapes and sizes depending upon you goals.  3-4 mm's is a pretty descent size reduction for most patients. 

Rhinoplasty Goal

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. 
While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist and look carefully at his/her Before/Afters to find a surgeon with the aesthetic that matches yours.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Alarplasty procedure

The anatomy of the nostrils will change depending on what maneuvers are performed on the nasal tip. Nostril flaring, for example, decreases somewhat if the tip is projected. As a result the exact location and amount of tissue to remove is based on a combination of factors including physical exam, surgical procedures, and your goals. Consult with a rhinoplasty expert to discuss further. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist