Can the Mons Pubis region be reduced? (Photo)

I have always had a larger more pronounced Mons Pubis. I had lapband surgery 2 years ago and lost 80 pounds. Now it is even more pronounced. Can this area be reduced to a more normal size?

Doctor Answers 13

Your mons pubis can be reduced in 2 ways

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If the mons pubis is simply too full, but it is firm, then mons liposuction is an excellent option to reduce the fullness and achieve a flatter contour. However, if the mons sags, then you will need to have a surgical lifting of the mons pubis which is similar to a tummy tuck, but smaller. Sometimes a mons lift can be integrated with a tummy tuck.

Can the mons pubis region be reduced?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Your mons region can be reduced and lifted into a more aesthetic appearance, but should be combined with a tummy tuck to achieve the best results.   This will leave you with a flatter abdomen and mons region and will leave a more harmonious result than a mons reduction alone.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Monsplasty candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. A monsplasty can be a very rewarding procedure to diminish the fullness in the mons region. It can be done by liposuction of the area or in combination with surgical removal of any skin laxity of the mons region. The incision is usually at the same level as a tummy tuck incision, c-section or hysterectomy incision. It is a small enough procedure to be done in an office setting or can be readily added to most other body contouring procedures as an add-on procedure. For example, I generally address the mons region when I do my tummy tuck procedures. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail.

With your weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you should consider a tummy tuck and at the same time, make sure your surgeon will address the redundant mons.  A monsplasty alone will look 'funny' so its suggested you seek the tummy tuck as it will include elevating the mons at the same time.  If your surgeon wants to charge extra, get a second opinion from other plastic surgeons to see if its a common practice or 'unbundling' of fees.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

The mons pubis after weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This could be addressed in a number of ways. From your photographs, it seems like you would get a very nice result with an abdominoplasty. As a part of a standard tummy tuck, the mons pubis area gets addressed as far as volume and shape. If this is more surgery and you are looking for, your problem could be addressed with liposuction and a limited skin excision to suspend the loose skin.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Can the Mons Pubis region be reduced

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The Mons pubis region can be reduced with some surgical techniques. Often this is performed in conjunction with an abdominoplasty. Sometimes simple solutions such as liposuction can be performed in certain individuals. However if one has skin laxity, often the skin needs to be elevated in this requires an incision and scars. Your surgeon will be able to discuss with you the various options and pros and cons.

Pubic fat pad

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need a pubic lift with stabilizing your pubic skin to the underlying muscle. This is combined with pubic liposuction and fat excision.   It can be done alone or in combination with a tummy tuck .  I have published extensively on this procedure.  

Gary J. Alter, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Large Mons after lap band

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi dream_1990

Congratulations on your successful weight loss.

A prominent mons is very common in weight loss patients, and also in non-weight loss patients.  In your case, the fullness is due to residual fat that has descended (sagged) somewhat.

I would need to conduct a full physical exam, history, and discuss what you want to accomplish vs. what you are not willing to go through.  That said, options include tummy tuck, panniculectomy, mons lift.  Iipo is usually included in all of the above, and sometimes, patients can just get lipo and do fine.

I included a link so feel free to look around.

All the best.


Mons pubis reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The answer to your question is yes.  There are various procedures alone or in combination that can contour the mons pubis and suprapubic area.  They are often combined with abdominal contouring.  Based on your photo, your best result would be with an abdominoplasty or circumferential body lift.

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Reduction of the fat over the pubic bone or Mons Lipoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Dream_1990,

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Since you have had such a drastic change in your body shape a plastic surgeon rather than a gyn is better to address your needs.  You may want to reduce the extra abdominal skin at the same time as having the mons reduced.

The mons pubis area could be reduced by itself with a minor liposuction procedure but that doesn't address the rest of the extra skin, but that depends on what you want and can afford to have done.  By itself, it is a 30 minute procedure done as an outpatient with no downtime and a fast recovery and healing time.

I wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work!


Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.