How long should I wait to have intercourse after having a full Tummy tuck?

Intercourse after a Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of two weeks.Dhaval M. Patel Double board certifiedPlastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How long should I wait to have intercourse after tummy tuck?

Four to six weeks is a general idea for when you can resume normal sexual activity. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon for her preferences.

Thank you for your question!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Return to Sexual Activity Depends on the Type of Tummy Tuck Performed

The amount of time I recommend refraining from strenuous physical activity, including sexual relations, depends on the extent of the surgery performed. 

For a “Mini Tummy Tuck”, usually 2 weeks is adequate, since no muscle plication (rectus diastasis repair) is typically performed. 

With all forms of Standard Tummy Tucks, including those with or without wedge resection, extended or high lateral tension tummy tucks, a full 6 week recovery period is generally recommended, since the rectus plication included in these procedures is essentially equivalent to a hernia repair.

The rectus plication is carried out with fairly strong stitches, but the true strength of the repair depends on the long term healing of the tissues to one another, which typically takes a full 6 weeks.  During that time, I recommend that the patient refrain from strenuous activity such as heavy lifting or any activity that requires “straining” the abdominal muscles, which usually includes most forms of sexual relations.

I hope this answers your question.  Good luck!!

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding. Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity), even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

There is no no problem just your discomfort after the surgery will allow you to have or not.

Try not to get to emotional, and try a comfortable position.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

I recommend waiting a few weeks until the main soreness is gone and then proceed with caution.  Some patients take longer than others to get to that point.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

How long until intercourse

This is actually a very common question that women or men have after their tummy tuck but often are too embarrassed to ask their surgeon, so I applaud your bravery for asking in an open forum.  Hopefully your question will be seen by many others.  I usually recommend to my patients waiting at least a couple weeks until most of the pain and soreness resolves and then letting their partner "do all the work" for at least 6 weeks after surgery.  I hope that helps answer your question.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon