Lip injections or no? (photo)

I have an appointment next week for some fillers/ Botox here and there. I am wondering if I should also have my lips done. My upper lip is smaller than the bottom. If I do, I'm not sure if I should have only the top or both the top and bottom. Thank you.

Lip Fillers and Injections of Botox

You seem to be an ideal candidate for both Botox and fillers.  I would recommend you having both your top and bottom lip injected as they both would benefit from filler.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

Lip fillers do great if done with skill and expertise. I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip fillers

Lip fillers are a great product to improve the lipo thinness and add volume.  Be prepared for swelling to last about a week in the lips.

Lip augmentation

The ideal proportion of upper to lower lip is 1/3 to 2/3. I can see from the picture that the lateral parts of your upper lip are very thin. Lip fillers can balance the size, form, and projection of the lip. 

Lip enhancement?

I think they would look a bit better with filler. I like Restylane Silk for this. You should do upper and lower and shoot for a ratio of 1:1.61 as far as the ratio of upper to lower lip proportions. It is most important as to who you choose to do this for optimal outcomes.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip injections or no?

Great question, most females as they age lose volume in all aspects of their face, especially the lips. I would encourage you to inquire about your lips, as I think you would benefit, Always treat the upper and lower, they need volume but need to stay in proportion to each other. Good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Add Volume to Lips?

If your lips are addressed correctly, you could have a beautiful result from a filler such as Juvederm.  If a patient requests a lip filler in my practice, I invariably address both the upper and lower lips in order to maintain a pleasing aesthetic volumetric relationship.  If your Doctor is experienced, he/she will explain this to you.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip injections or no?

Thank you for your question and photographs. I think you would obtain a nice result with a small amount of lip filler to both lips for overall volume enhancement.  One of the advantages of fillers is that they can be placed incrementally until you achieve the result that you are after.  As your injector performs the serial injections you can look in a mirror and assess the immediate results, this will avoid the overdone look and keep you within your comfort zone.  Hope this helps.

To Plump the Pout or Not to Plump?

Thank you for your question and for posting the photo. When it comes to lip augmentation, I really believe this is a personal choice and like almost all cosmetic procedures, you should only address it if it is something that bothers you. That being said, it is normal for the upper lip to be slightly smaller than the lower lip, having a full lower lip is what gives people that beautiful plump pout. In fact, the ratio of the upper lip to the lower lip should be about 1 to 1.618.  If you do decide you want to try lip augmentation, I would recommend doing both the upper and the lower lip with the goal to augment both while still keeping the golden ratio in mind so that you achieve a natural and well-proportioned look. Good luck!

Lana Kashlan, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Natural Lip Enhancement

Facial fillers that are made of hyaluronic acid ( Juevederm, Restylane and Belotero) are all great options for smooth, gentle lip enhancements.  We prefer a more natural look that keeps the bottom lip at least 1/3 larger than the top lip in order to avoid a "duck-like" appearance--- making them appear. unnatural.  Sometimes a small amount of filler is best and a return follow- up visit in 1-2 weeks for a touch-up to get the best result for someone who has not had treatments before. 

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician