I am scheduled to have a Botox brow lift. How effective are they in lifting?

I have naturally hooded eyes not due to sagging of the upper lid. You cannot even see my upper lid except on the outer and inner edges when I look straight forward. My plastic surgeon suggested trying a Botox brow lift to see how it would work for me before committing to doing an endoscopic one. I am so nervous about having my face cut on and permanently altered. How effective are Botox brow lifts in lifting the brow enough to be able to see at least some of the eyelid?

Botox for Eyebrows

Botox can elevate the outer portion of the eyebrow a couple of millimeters and is a quick and easy way to correct a portion of the hooding of the eyelid from a falling eyebrow.  The advantage is that Botox is quick to perform and if you like the results you can continue to use Botox for that purpose.  The "down" side is that it does not act immediately and takes roughly 3 to 7 days to have an effect.  In addition, if you love the result you will need to repeat the treatment every few months to maintain the effect.  But, overall, seems like a good idea and very little on the negative side to suggest that it is not worth a try.  

Hope this helps

J. Wethe, MD

Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Try Botox to lift brow

I would certainly give the Botox a try. It can elevate your brow up to a few mm and can raise the lateral brow if you would like that. If you don't think that you have enough of a result then you can still do surgical procedure later. My patients love the lift they get. CAUTION: Do not have your forehead injected at the same time. You want to see what you can do for your brow so so that first, by itself. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Will Be Subtle

Botox works by weakening the muscle it is injected into.  The muscles of the upper face are always trying to balance each other out (as are muscles in the rest of the body).

So, you forehead muscles (frontalis) want to pull your brows upward, and your frowning muscles (corrugators) and your eye closing muscles (orbicularis oculi) want to pull your brows downward.  Think of it like balancing on a see-saw as a kid.  If you weaken the downward pulling muscles with Botox, the upward pulling muscles have a slight advantage and can then raise the brows slightly.  The effect is subtle and only lasts for 3 months and injecting the orbicularis muscle is more risky because it can give you a lazy eye if the Botox drifts into your levator muscle.

So I wanted you to understand the concepts.  Having said that, I think you should try it.  This is the only way you will know if it is right for you.

Thanks,

Gordon Telepun, MD

Decatur, Alabama

Thank you for sharing your question.  Elevation of the outer part of the eyebrow can successfully be performed using Botox and usually results in a couple of millimeters of elevation.  Depending on your current eye appearance this may provide sufficient improvement, but if it does not, you would be a better candidate for a surgical brow lift once it wears off in 3-4 months.  Hope this helps. 

I Am Scheduled To Have A Botox Brow Lift. How Effective Are They In Lifting?

Thank you for your excellent question.  A chemical brow lift with Botox will create 1-3 millimeters of lateral brow elevation.  It is difficult to comment without seeing a photograph.  Based on what you described, you may be a better candidate for an upper eyelid lift or a surgical brow lift.  Please be sure to discuss your goals and expectations with your plastic surgeon in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!  

Botox browlift

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

If you have significant redundancy of eyelid skin a botox browlift is unlikely to solve the problem. It might improve it slightly, but not cure it. In many cases blepharoplasty is a better option than brow lifting. If you do not want surgery, botox eyebrow lifting is a good option as far as you understand its limitations.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Botox: brow lift

Botox is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively weaken them for softer wrinkles.

With an understanding of the opposing muscles around the eye and on the forehead, the brow position can be adjusted by 1-2 mm. This is a nice, safe way to temporarily trial the effect before committing to a permanent surgery. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox brow lift

Thank you for your question majorminor. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox can be used to adjust the shape and position of the brows. I tell my patients that Botox will be able to raise the brows by 1-2 mm. This is a good option for those who do not want surgery. Combining the treatment with a skin tightening treatment such as a fractional CO2 can give further improvement. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Upper Eyelid Rejuvenation with botox brow lift, thermage, venus legacy, viva

A combination approach is usually best for hooded eyelids. Radiofrequency like thermage or venus legacy/viva, fillers, in addition to a botox brow lift can really help contour the eye brows and lift the eyelid skin. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox brow lift

The Botox brow lift is about 1-3 mm. Adding the crows feet injection will help and so will the glabellar injection. There is no downside in trying it out before surgery.

Steven F. Weiner, MD