I think I have gynecomastia. What are the symptoms and how can I stop it?

Candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed.

You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Male Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question about Male Breast Reduction. Pictures would be helpful.

More information would be needed to give you any meaningful answer.

To be sure what is going on in your situation, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. I would suggest that you seek consultation with your primary care physician and/or a board-certified plastic surgeon. Physical examination will be key when it comes providing you with an accurate diagnosis.

"Gynecomastia" comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and "mastos" meaning breasts. It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative.

Patients with gynecomastia often present with an enlarged breast (on one or both sides),  "puffy" areola,  breast tenderness…

Persistence gynecomastia is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue liposuction surgery may suffice. You may find the attached link, dedicated to gynecomastia concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Liposuction and Gland Excision

Hi. Liposuction and gland excision can permanently remove such glands. In case you have suddenly developed this due to any anabolic steroid intakes, try to avoid it to stop it from progressing further. 

Gynecomastia

I have a steady flow of patients in my office who come in for this problem which began after taking bodybuilding food supplements over the counter. If by chance this is your situation obviously stop. Sometimes it will regress itself over a year or two. If not the only logical answer is surgery which can be done through an almost invisible incision in your armpit and is usually highly successful.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

I think I have gynecomastia.

Thank you for your question.  Gynecomastia is most commonly manifested as two-sided chest enlargement that may be accompanied by pain, enlarged areola and puffy nipples and will more closely resemble a female breast.  Depending on the duration of your existing gynecomastia it can regress spontaneously, but if present for over a year surgical intervention is typically required for treatment.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to have the best treatment recommendations made.  Hope this helps.

Correcting Gynecomastia

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
The most common and reliable method to correct gynecomastia, is surgery.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.