Hairline and hairloss. (photos)

I have spoken to a derm on the phone and sent pictures. They did not seem to tell me the degree of my hairloss or recession. They just insited on pricy treaments. I am just wondering how far or how bad my recession is and what norwood scale would i be ? Will there be a cure for baldness ? Are transplants permeant fix or do you have to be on minoxidil. What happens if there is mot enough hair in the doner area ? Do you wait untill the hair grows back at the back to start anouther session ?

Hairline

Is your hair important to you?  From your query it seems that it is.  Isn't it worth it to make an appointment with someone who can actually examine you?  So far you have taken selfies and emailed them to a whole bunch of doctors with a lot of questions.  How will you ever be able to trust what we say?

So, you need to see someone.  From the looks of things you have little to no hair loss, but any hint of a mature male hairline is understandably concerning to many patients.  There are many options for keeping your hair these days - just go to a specialist who has your best interests in mind.  Make a call today.

Good Luck!

Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss Management

A global approach to your hair loss and management may avoid pricey treatments. Medical solutions, eating a clean diet and possible surgery are all important considerations. Your age, family history and your ultimate degree of hair loss are all important in deciding the best approach. BTW you currently appear to be Norwood Class 2, but have not shown crown photos. 

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss and options

There is no way to predict with 100% accuracy the extent of your future hair loss. Androgenetic alopecia is an inherited condition and the progression varies from person to person. Certain clues can help determine how quickly the hair loss will progress (i.e. presence or absence of temporal points; retrograde alopecia, or thinning from the upper neck upwards; the speed at which you are losing your hair; family history of hair loss). Currently there is no cure for baldness. Propecia(finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) help stabilize the current hair that you have on your head, but these are not perfect medications and results are variable. Hair transplant surgery simply moves hair from the donor area to the recipient area and "fills in the spaces" between preexisting hairs. There is a finite number of donor hair available for transfer and this varies from person to person. Hair transplant does not prevent further hair loss. The best combination is medical and surgical therapy---a transplant to fill in the spaces and medications  (Rogaine and Propecia) to help keep the hair that your currently have at the recipient area. In order to determine what is best for you, a proper physical exam is necessary.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I loosing my hair?

You do not have evidence of male pattern baldness at this time.  You have some miniaturization of follicles on the hairline.  I would not encourage you to take medications or seek surgery based on this alone.  We know from our studies that there is an average cross sectional trichometry (CST) in the donor area.  When you begin loosing your hair, there will be a decrease in the CST in the front, top, and, or crown areas when compared to the donor area.  This is the best predictor of future hair loss.  If you have a decrease in your CST up top, you can consider medical therapy at this point.  You do not appear to be in a situation where you need to consider hair transplantation.  Only a few offices around the world understand or use CST simply because they test is time consuming and it is costly.  I perform this test on every patient to help me design my treatment protocol.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Am I losing hair and how much am I losing?

To find out if you are losing hair and where you are losing it, there is a single test called HAIRCHECK which when used, will answer that question for you with reasonable accuracy

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.

If you are losing hair and want treatment options you should schedule a consultation with a doctor.  Seeing a doctor in person is different than sending photos.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant Cost

Hair loss is different from person to person and it's hard to predict the rate at which you will continue to lose your hair. Your family history, medical history, and lifestyle are all factors that can accelerate hair loss. 

There is no cure for baldness and it may be worth considering a hair transplant once you have seen your doctor and reviewed your individual vitals. 

Robert Jones, MD
Mississauga Hair Restoration Surgeon

Consultation

your best bet is to have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, and discuss with you preventative medications, as well as formulate both short term and long term plans. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician