Would I be a good candidate for saline implants? (photos)

I've had 7 children. My heaviest i was 230 with diet an exercise im down to 140. All i have is what push ups an bench pressing haas helped me with.

Based on the photo, I think you are a good candidate for a breast augmentation. In spite of all your children, your breasts still have a youthful appearance. These days silicone is much more commonly used, so I recommend at least considering these regarding the look and feel prior to making your final decision on implants. Good luck!

Breast Augmentation

Based on your one photo, you would be a good candidate for breast augmentation alone to add volume to your breasts as your nipples are above the inframammary fold.  Breast implants will enlarge your breasts, and in patients with very little tissue coverage, you will be able to feel the implant inferiorly and laterally.  Saline and silicone implants will have a different feel.  I would also recommend going under the muscle as it will give better superior pole coverage and the most natural feel and appearance.  The choice between saline and silicone is very individual.  It is best to see a plastic surgeon in person to go over the benefits of each implant and feel the different implants.  Good Luck!

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Saline breast implants are okay

Congratulations on your weight loss. You look like you'll be a good candidate for saline implants according to the picture you posted. To pictures of my patients who looks similar to you and had a saline augmentation, see the link below.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a good candidate for saline implants?

Thank you for the question and photo.  From the photograph, it does look like you are a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant type/size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

Yes, you would be an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation. Most patients prefer silicone as it feels more natural, but it's a personal choice. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Saline implants

Hello, from the limited photo provided it appears that your breast has a normal shape, so implants might be a good option.  You would need a proper consultation including breast exam to determine whether saline implants are the best choice.

Who is a candidate for saline breast implants?

Any woman who is a good candidate for breast augmentation is potentially a good candidate for either saline or silicone implants. Both can offer the right patient beautiful results. There are some differences between the look and the feel but the ultimate choice is a personal decision that a woman should make with her surgeon. For more information about the differences between these two types of implants the the results from them please see the web link below.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Best wishes!

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Would I be a good candidate for saline implants.

You certainly are a good candidate for breast augmentation. The implant choice you make should be an informed one, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both saline and silicone gel. As you ask about saline, the advantages are a lower cost, and what we call a lower concern over replacement as saline implants can be worn without worry until a leak occurs without the need for an MRI. Also the incision is smaller, and the capsule rate is lower than with silicone gel. On the side against saline, only a moderate profile will have the soft feel unlike a high profile gel, and larger saline implants tend to have some ripple, especially to the bottom and side where the muscle will not cover. Have your surgeon discuss both with you to understand the differences.

Saline implants

From your picture, it appears that you have little breast tissue coverage with might mean that ripples/wrinkles from a saline implant might be more of a possibility for you.  Placing the saline implants below your chest muscle should help minimize this risk, however, if it is in your budget, silicone gel implants would probably give you a nicer result.  I always tell my patients that the silicone gel implants are the Mercedes of implants and saline implants are the Honda of implants.  Both will get you to your destination, it's just a matter of style.  If you have a fear of silicone gel then I would certainly encourage you to use saline implants.  Life it too short to worry about your implants.  I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can review the risks and benefits of the various types and styles of implants on the market in greater detail.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Both the saline and silicone implants have the same type of outer rubbery silicone shell. The inner fill is different: sterile saline solution in the saline Implant and silicone gel in the silicone Implant. There are advantages and disadvantages of each type of implant. Both are utilized by surgeons across the country with satisfactory results. They are both safe and approved for usage by the FDA. Currently there are more silicone gel implants used in the U.S. While either implant can produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriate patient, most patients prefer the feel of the silicone gel implant.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you discuss the options with your plastic surgeon who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon