Fear of bottoming out (Photo)

I've just had my stitches out, am 10 days post op ba, nurse said they're healing nicely but my left incision looks a little lumpy to me? And not right under my breast crease, I'm scared I'm going to bottom out?

Fear of bottoming out

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I have to say that you're still early on healing process love, do not worry you're alright. they look very nice and your incision is healing well, apply antibiotic cream to help them heal faster.

Fear of bottoming out

Thank you for your question. Based on your pictures, your scars seem to be healing fine and theyre is no sign of your implants bottoming out. The lumps that you feel should even out with time. Contact your surgeon if you have any concerns.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Creasing and Bottoming Out

Creasing of the incision is normal and will flatten out with time. There is no indication of bottoming out at this time. Wear your post surgical bra as instructed. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Bottoming out?

Congratulations on your recent surgery.  Based on your photos, you look great for post-op day 10.  Incisions look to be in good position and bumps along the line is very normal this early out.  I agree with wearing a compressive bra (no underwire) for at least four weeks (24/7).  You result will continue to take place in the weeks to follow.

Dr. Mooty

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out

The healing appears normal. I ask my patients to use a supportive bra and start the scar creams after four weeks. The bra is worn from the recovery room and at all times for four weeks or more.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out?

The lumpiness in your scar is normal at this point in time. It should improve over time. We have found scar cream to be helpful in achieving this. It does not indicate by any means that your breast will bottom out.

Paul M. Parker, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Incisions?

Your incisions appear to be healing well and the bumpiness is pretty normal finding after surgery. This will get better over the next few weeks and has no relation to the risks of bottoming out. Good bra support, avoiding tobacco exposure and having a healthy lifestyle will help to have better results. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Bottoming out?

Thanks for your question! It would be very early to see any "bottoming out" of an implant result. I don't see any evidence of implant malposition (bottoming out) in these pictures. The lumpy/bumpy nature of your scars and difference between the two is completely normal at this point. Best of luck!

Bradley A. Hubbard, MD

Bottoming out? Nope

I would like to reassure you that you are not bottoming out.

Lumpy incisions can be expected this early in the post-operative period.

Please continue to have regular follow-up with your surgeon in order to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully without complications. Their instructions and advice should take precedence over what you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Nevertheless, I would like to give you some information about signs of bottoming out so you are aware in advance: 

• Bottomed out implants end up too low on the chest wall with the inframammary scars travelling up onto the breast skin.
  • The nipples will not only point upward, but also be positioned higher on the breast mounds.
  • There will be no pain, but you may notice thinning of the skin at the bottom of the breast, which will allow you to more easily feel the breast implant.

It is good to be wearing supportive bras as this prevent bottoming out. Supportive bras will apply upward pressure to the fold at the bottom of the breast.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implants in good position

Your implants look to be in great position for 10 days out from surgery. Although your breast shape will continue change some as the swelling goes down, there is no evidence now of anything bottoming out. As for the scars, they will be lumpy for the first couple of week and will then settle down. I always tell patients it takes about a year for the scar to take it's final form. All of my patients are put on a scar therapy program post operatively to help them end up with the finest scar possible. Congratulations on your surgery!

~Dr. Sieber

David A. Sieber, MD
Bay Area General Surgeon