Should I go for a facelift or dermal fillers. (photo)

Fillers or Facelift?

Although both facelift and fillers overlap in their ability to rejuvenate mood signs of aging they do not have the same capabilities and not interchangeable. 
You demonstrate moderate facial deflation and sagging and would derive a much better and longer lasting result from a well done Facelift procedure. Pumping the face with thousands of dollars of filler as in the preposterous "Liquid Facelift" scheme costs as much as a real facelift but pride yes inferior results and lasts for less than two years. 

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN

Facelift or Fillers? Both Can Help

This is a common question, but the truth is this isn't an "either/or" choice. Based on the photo you've provided, I believe you could benefit from both a facelift and the use of fillers, and even fat grafting, depending on your goals. A facelift performed by an experienced plastic surgeon can create a more youthful appearance that looks natural by lifting and repositioning tissue in your lower face and neck. The results will be long-lasting — and, I believe, more satisfying for you. Fillers used strategically around the eyes can provide a more rested appearance. Good luck to you

Marc DuPere, MD

What Would You Like to Achieve?

Facelift surgery and dermal fillers can both create good results. The right choice for you depends on the results you'd like to see. Fillers are best for treating specific lines and creases, and they can also add a modest amount of volume to areas such as the cheeks. More significant improvement — including smoother, tighter skin and a more defined jawline — can only be achieved through facelift surgery. It's also quite possible to combine the 2: Many surgeons use surgery and injectables together for a more complete improvement. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to learn more about what the right approach may be for you.

Facelift vs Fillers

Face lift vs Fillers.
This is a common dilemma. They are not mutually exclusive. It comes down to what is catching your eye. If it is loose skin, then a face lift may be the better option. If it is the tiredness or hollowness around the eyes and cheeks.
These consultations can be frustrating for the patient as they hope to leave with a clear plan, whereas both options would help to brighten the face. With only a frontal view it is hard to recommend one path over the other. I would encourage you to consult with more cosmetic surgeons to learn more about your face and options.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift or Fillers

From your photo you do have some skin looseness, but it is not bad. I do not see any jowls, but I cannot tell from the photo if you have any neck skin laxity. From what I see, fillers should work very nice for you and you could consider a facelift as your face and neck skin loosens. 

Facelift

Thank you for your question. A facelift and dermal filler procedures differ in cost, invasiveness, recovery time, operational time, and of course, capability. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person examination that will further determine what look you are trying to achieve.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I go for a facelift or dermal fillers

The best recommendations always come after an in-office evaluation and review of your medical record and aesthetic goals.  Volume augmentation with fillers or fat augmentation can often restore youthful contours, but in the presence of lax skin often a lifting procedure is required. That is, volume augmentation works best in the presence of firmer skin.  A combination of the two would typically produce superior results.

The attached link provides more inforamtion.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Facelift or filler

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo.  This is an excellent question, and depends on several factors including recovery, cost, longevity, and your goals.  Fillers can provide volume to areas of the face that have deflated, and reduce the appearance of folds around the mouth, and give you a refreshed look.  However, they do not specifically address sagging jowls and neck laxity like a facelift.  So fillers are not a replacement for a facelift, but fat or fillers can enhance the results of a facelift.  I hope that is helpful.  I would consider consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

All my best!
Dr. Elizabeth

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Facelift or Fillers?

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  The answer to your question really depends on your aesthetic goals.  Facelift and fillers are not interchangeable.  Each addresses a different aspect of facial aging and are indicated for different reasons.  A facelift primarily addresses sagging in the lower face and neck and additionally helps to soften the depth of the nasolabial folds and marionette lines around the mouth.  Fillers are used for restoring midface volume and diminishing the depths of creases and wrinkles on the face, but does nothing to tighten the jawline and neck.  Based on the one photo that you provided, I think you could likely benefit from both a facelift and fillers, but either one alone would provide some benefit for you.  I will typically perform a fat transfer at the same time as a facelift for individuals who need midface volume restoration in addition to a lift.  I think fat provides a very natural, long-lasting result and is a nice enhancement to a facelift.  I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and allow them to assess your anatomy, concerns, and goals in order to develop a treatment plan to achieve optimal results.  Best of luck to you in achieving your aesthetic goals.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different Outcomes

Hello, and thank you for your question. I echo the sentiment of my colleagues. Fillers are minimally invasive, can be done while you're awake, and have virtually no down-time. They increase volume but do not reposition anatomy or remove excess skin. The increased volume lasts approximately 1-2 years. A facelift requires anesthesia and you need to anticipate about 3 weeks of recovery, but the results will rewind the clock about 10 years. The amount of filler needed to give you results you would be pleased with will cost only slightly less than a facelift. For these reasons, I would recommend a facelift. Best of luck to you!