I'm 4 days post op and I am worried I didn't go quite big enough. Will my implants seem bigger when they drop & fluff? (Photo)

I'm only 4 days out so I know my implants will look way different when they are finished healing, but I'm wondering if I should have gone bigger? I'm pretty pleased with the size they are now but when the swelling goes down and when they "drop and fluff" will they seem smaller or seem somewhat bigger than they are now?

Too small after breast augmentation?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  The concerns you expressed here are quite frequently heard after breast augmentation surgery; it may help you to know that  a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. The vast majority of these patients who are initially quite emotional or "depressed" end up being very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.  Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting.  Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger.  
From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.
Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Wait At Least Six Months to Decide

Dear boobies4ever, The size of your breasts will not make a big change with time, but the shape and appearance will. I think you have a very attractive and proportionate look. In general, you should wait at least six months before making a decision to change size so that you have adequate time to really assess your results. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

#breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery #breastimplants

Hi boobies, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for your excellent question about changes after your breast augmentation.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our breast augmentation surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best. Kind regards, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS,   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Wait for some time

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and "less natural" in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

I'm 4 days post op and I am worried I didn't go quite big enough. Will my implants seem bigger when they drop & fluff?

Congratulations on your recent surgery. You're correct that your implants will drop in fluff and when they do your breasts will appear more round, larger, and a little closer together.If you're wondering about size, wait at least six months to judge your final result. It takes time to get used to your new body.It looks like you are going to have a great result.

Second guessing your implant size

Congrats on your surgery!  At this point you still have swelling and early on, most implants are typically still sitting higher than they will ultimately end up.  Also, you may have swelling in between your breasts which can make them look almost flattened out a bit.  As the swelling goes down, usually the implants kind of come forward and settle.  Right now, they are still pretty firm "mounds" but as time goes on, swelling resolves, your muscles will relax and your implants will fill out into a bra better and you will have a better breast shape and should fill out a bra better.  It takes some time to see your final result!

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices :

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Will they seem bigger?

Great questions.  At 4 days post op it is difficult to assess your outcome.  It's great that you are pleased already.  Typically you will notice that as the implants set high and the muscle is tight, the top of the breast may appear flattened from the tightness of the pec.  As the muscle and tissue stretch they take on the more projected roundness of the implant and the lower pole takes on a fuller rounder appearance as the upper pole fullness settles.  So I'd say most likely as the drop and fluff occurs you'll find that the breasts look fuller and more projected.  This process could take 4 months or more so be patient but be reassured that you'll most likely enjoy your size and look more as time goes on.  Best wishes!!!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Will they look bigger when they drop and fluff?

You are still VERY early in the recovery process.  They will likely appear larger once they have settled into their pocket.  At this point, they are still sitting very high on your chest.  Just be patient and follow your PS' instructions.  Good luck!

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling, Size

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. It is common to have size concerns immediately following the procedure. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.