Can a compression garment cause more harm than good? Should I continue to wear after this occurrence? (photos)

I had a full tummy tuck two weeks ago. I have a short torso and have hips that make my compression garment roll up.The last couple nights, I have taken the compression garment off while sleeping only and it has helped. Yesterday, while I was in the shower, one of the spots where the compression garment has been began leaking puss and blood! I got the puss out until it ran to mostly blood. I cleaned the area after shower and applied Neosporin and a small pad over the area.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  In most cases compression garments are useful at minimizing patient swelling after surgery but if there is a ripple or fold in the garment it may create a pressure sore over part of your results, causing pain and discomfort.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation to discuss possible alternative garment options.  

the photos you presented show a very nice early result. you are right, sometimes the compression garments can cause problems. therefore, discuss this with your surgeon and select a garment that seems to work for you and the area you are healing. pus and blood can be a reaction to stitching, make sure you don't get a fever or redness or increasing swelling. so far, your result looks normal.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.It is important to consult with your plastic surgeon about any concerns or complications you may be having so they can recommend the best option for you during your recovery so you don’t affect your final result. I would recommend having some type of compression over the area to help the swelling resolve so your doctor may recommend switching to spanx or another type of compression garment.
Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Can a compression garment cause more harm than good? Should I continue to wear after this occurrence

This would be a question for your surgeon. There are many other options out there that can be used as compression garments that might fit your shorter torso better. Talk with him.her about different option or suggestions as to what to purchase. It is beneficial that you continue to wear it though. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.I would suggest speaking with your plastic surgeon directly as they will be most familiar with your case.  Everyone has a different practice with respect to compression garments.  I personally want my patients to inform me if something we are doing is making them uncomfortable so I can discontinue it.  With the drainage you describe you could have a fluid collection that has found its way out of the incision which is quite common and your plastic surgeon will be able to take you through that and make sure it is nothing more.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

I suggest you reach out to your surgeon if you are experiencing a wound issue or discharge. Every plastic surgeon has their own protocol in regards to compression. However, if your compression garment is causing you discomfort, you should definitely talk to your plastic surgeon and express your concerns.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon