How to choose the right implant size for my body? (photos)

I am 25 years old 5 ft & weigh between 108-110 lbs. I am scheduled for my augmentation March 31st but I'm having the hardest time choosing a size. I went in to my consult set on 350cc but when I tried them on you couldn't really tell much of a difference. I like the way 375cc looked. My PS advised me to go with the bigger size since I am going under the muscle. I am currently a 34A (deflated with little breast tissue due to breastfeeding) I want a full C but I also don't want to look top heavy

Best implant size for breast augmentation

The best way is to visit a plastic surgeon and try on different sized implants both in a bra and with a blouse on. This should give you an accurate idea of the best size for your body. Most plastic surgeons will also help you choose an appropriate sized implant.

In the end it is your decision

Nobody can just prescribe a implant size to you.  Decision about size of implants is based on sense and sensibility between doctor and patient at their live encounter.  Follow your instinct mixed with your own doctor's guidance.
Open ended advice from third parties will not help yopu in any meaningful way. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

How to choose the right implant size for my body?

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "full C cup” or "top heavy" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

This Is Such A Great Question!

Ruby,

This is always one of the major dilemmas in plastic surgery, choosing an implant size.  One thing I talk about with patients is directing their attention away from volume in cc's and discussing the chest and rib cage width and choosing their implant size by base diameter that can fit naturally on their chest.  Patients seem to understand this well when it is explained to them.

Depending on your chest a bigger implant will start to get too wide and go around your ribs toward your arms a lot.  Or, if you have a short upper chest the implant can look too high.  Additionally, you don't want to have your fold lowered too much to fit an implant that is a little large for you.

Therefore, that is why I look at base diameter first.

Gordon Telepun, MD

What size implants

In my opinion, you will never see a 25 mL difference between 350 and 375 mL. Since most patients think they are smaller than they want to be when they're done, most plastic surgeons recommend going with the larger of the two sizes. If you really want to see how they'll look, find someone with the Vectra 3-D imaging platform who can show you, on your body, what different size, shapes, and types of implants would look like. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

BA size

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well.

The thing about size is...
Did You Know? Implant size (measured by cubic centimeters, or “cc”) only matters as far as it will help you get the look you want. In these photos, can you guess who has the larger sized implants?

What limits how big you should go?

1. Your current breast size. This matters because you’ve got to have enough existing breast tissue to cover the implant. If you haven’t got a lot to spare, some implants may just be too big to fit.
2. Your chest and shoulder width. Fortunately, implants come in different base widths so you can get a size that works well with your frame.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

I want a full C but I also don't want to look top heavy.

You have what you need if you have explored photos and sizers and help determine the right look for you. The look is what is important, not the implant number. If your surgeon has worked with you carefully he will know how you wish to look, and will make a correct implant choice for you.

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

How do I choose the right implant size?

In general your choice sounds reasonable: 350cc to 375cc with your current deflated A cup breast.   Choosing size is best done with several modalities (goal pictures like the one you posted...but choose some you like, and some that are too large..this will help your surgeon).  3 dimensional imaging systems are also quite helpful. Finally sizers at the preop visit complement and confirm your choice.  In general if sizes are carefully chosen, I have never had a patient feel they were too large postoperatively, but after 6 months, many patients wish they had gone a little bigger. Therefore if a patient is undecided between two sizes, I encourage them to choose the largest size they feel comfortable with.

Implants, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants. The volume of the implants depends on several factors such as the diameter of your chest. 
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD