Burning in breast. Is this normal?

Is it normal to have burning or tingling in breast? It's been a year and I have sharp pain sometimes but mostly burning that is very uncomfortable. My left breast seems harder than my right. Is all this normal??

Burning in breast. Is this normal

Thank you for your question, ı will advise that you consult your surgeon that peformed the surgery and also if possible for you to have follow up examination.

Speak to your plastic surgeon

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. Sorry to learn about your concerns.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Hello dear, thanks for your information and question. That feeling that you're having is very common after breast surgery, Do not worry about it too much, it will subside with the time, good luck

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Burning in breast

A few months after the surgery, you my expect what you are describing. But a year after it should already have improved. The fact that you describe it as "hard" may be related to what is known as "capsular contracture". I will recommend you to visit your plastic surgeon for an evaluation to decide the cause of this discomfort and also to see what therapeutic options are available.

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Burning or tingling in breast one year after surgery

Yes, the condition you are describing is very common.  The burning or tingling is related to nerve regeneration after the breast augmentation.  It usually subsides with time.  Ibuprofen also seems to be very helpful in controlling symptoms.

Burning in breast

Thank you for the question. 1 year from your surgery it is not normal to be experiencing this discomfort. From your narrative it would sound as though you may have a capsular contracture.I would recommend that you consult with your plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Burning in breast

Burning in the breast is not normal. You should be seen by your doctor to try to figure out the cause.  Good luck.

Burning in the breast

It is difficult to give you an exact diagnosis without examining you and knowing exactly what type of breast enlargement was preformed. It sounds to me that you have capsular contracture. If this is the case you would benefit from a re-augmentation. This operation would involve removing the scar tissue. This is called a capsulectomy. The new implants should be textured implants. This will help increase the long term success rate of the second surgery. Some implant company's do offer financial assistance with the second operaation. I would consult your Plastic Surgeon who preformed the surgery. I hope you find this useful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

It could be anything. Get checked

Symptoms as described by you could be normal process of regenerating nerves or early scar tissue formation.  See your surgeon again and get yourself checked.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Capsular Contracture after Breast Augmentation

Pain and burning are normal sensations after surgery and during the early healing period.  However, this is abnormal 1 year following breast surgery.  Since you mentioned that your breast is hard, it sounds like you may be developing capsular contracture which is one of the more common complications of breast augmentation occurring at 2% per year according to 10 year longitudinal studies.  Meaning that at 10 years with 4th generation silicone implants, 20% of women will have some evidence of capsular contracture on exam.

I recommend that you be evaluated by a plastic surgeon.  There are things that can be done to treat and help prevent capsular contracture (implant exchange, pocket change and use of an ADM).