Breast Augmentation/Implants, is there a way for breasts not to be hard and extremely high?

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a breast augmentation/implants within the next month or so. I've been doing my research, and I noticed that after most ladies have their procedures done, their breast are hard and extremely high. Could this be avioded somehow, or is this normal with such a procedure? What causes this? Is it posssible to have soft breast that are not high after surgery? Thanks.

Post Op Swelling

Thank you  for your question. The natural, inflammatory process involves swelling of your tissues and typically, the implants will be compressed/tight while you are swollen. As well, pectoral muscles can appear prominent with upper chest swelling. Your surgeon will advise you about a post op compression bra and any activities you will need to avoid. I recommend that you talk with them about the recovery process so that you have realistic expectations. It will take between 2-6 months for the breasts to completely soften, drop and fluff. Your existing tissues and the size of implant you choose could be factors as well.

All the best

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. when you have silicone implants under the muscle, they spend some weeks high, and you can feel much pressure on your chest, is completely  normal and they will drop and settle slowly with time.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation operation is performed in order to increase the size of breast. Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

It depends a lot on how large the implants are and how tight your tissues are. Best to be evaluated in person.

Hard breasts after augmentation

Soft, natural breasts are the rule in my practice and in most surgeons' practices.  Visit with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and ask to see many results.  Below is one example. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Is there a way for breasts not to be hard and extremely high?

Good breast augmentations should look natural, soft in a normal position. If they don't look this way the implant is in the wrong position, too big or both. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a great result. Good luck

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. After placement of implants, the appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. The swelling from surgery flattens your implants, holding them high on the chest.  As the swelling resolves, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more.   It often takes 6 months for the natural results to be seen. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the good question.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   

It takes time for the breast to get soft and to drop

you should think of a BA like getting 9 months pregnant in one hour. Your stomach would get very tight if you got 9 months pregnant in an hour. If your breasts are small and in one hour, the skin and soft tissue have to stretch over a breast implant, it has to be tight and firm. Of course, the larger your natural breasts are, and the smaller the implants are relative to your breast size, is going to have an effect.

i personally think that silicone implants cause less upper pole fullness initially, compared to saline implants. 

I think you need to allow at least 3 months for the implant to drop. The implants will get softer and softer and they keep improving for over a year. 

i think it is definitely better to put the implants under the muscle. 

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon