Need help on what to do. Had acne. It left a blemish so I used retionic acid chemical peel. Messed up corner of my mouth (Photo)

What to do or use so the corn or of my mouth or lips will look like they use to. I am black and want to get rid of acne and blemishes. I used retinoic acid 5% chemical peel to clear my face from dark spots and blemishes. But it didn't come out right on the corner of my lips. What should I do or use so it can clear up and doesn't look crusty. And it won't look funny like a small second pair of lips

Doctor Answers 2

Chemical peel

Chemical peels should always be done by a health care provider to avoid any adverse effects. It looks like you may have gotten some post inflammatory hyper pigmentation from the peel. I would advise you make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment. There are various creams that can be prescribed to help heal the area. 

Orange County Dermatologist
4.3 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Chemical peels

Thank you for your question lyn2cool. Chemical peels can help with acne breakouts. 

1. Chemical peels containing retinoic acid are prescription strength and should only be performed by a medical professional. 

2. The corners of the mouth are sensitive and are generally protected with an emollient such as Vaseline before a peel. 

3. Those with dark skin types are cautioned when performing peels as hyperpigmentation can result. 

For my patients with dark skin I recommend a good skin care regimen including acne products for 1-2 months before a chemical peel for best results. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.