Had over 30 laser hair removal treatments using nd yag cynosure but it's not working. Any suggestions?

LHR changed those thick dark hair into finer hair but they are still very visible as its black in colour. I have my treatment every 6 weeks on my face which includes upper lip, chin, sideburns, jawline and neck . I am skin type IV and i don't have any hormonal imbalance(got it checked). I do understand that laser hair removal is permentant hair reduction but I don't see that in my case. What should I do? Should I schedule my appointment every 4 weeks? Should I change my laser practitioner?

Laser Hair Removal -- Seek an Expert

In my practice I use diode lasers for the best outcome. I typically have patients do every 4 weeks for the first 3 times and then every 4-6 weeks for 3 times after. If you have not seen major improvement after 30 treatments I suggest you see an expert for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Failure to achieve improvement after hair removal treatment

I am sorry to hear of your experience.  30 treatments is a large number to undergo without satisfactory improvement.  I would seek the opinion of an expert in laser-assisted hair removal before undergoing additional treatments to learn what your best options are at this time.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fine hair difficult to treat

If the thicker hair is gone the fine hair is not going to respond to more laser treatments. Vaniqa is an option which is a prescription cream which must be used continuously and works only in 50 per cent of darker skin. Electrolysis is uncomfortable but is probsbly best option for remaining hair.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

30 LHR treatments face - still with hair

This is less than ideal and I'm sorry this is happening. I would stop treatment for now and seek another opinion. I would never continue with that many treatments as a provider if there wasn't any improvement noted. A 1064 laser is safest for darker skin types but not great at removing hair when compared to the other options available. Type 4 can be treated with a diode laser without complications. Finer hair can be the result of inadequate treatment, where the follicle is injured but not completely eradicated. This is a result of not sufficient power used - which is commonly found in providers not wanting to cause burns. So they take the "conservative approach" which actually can be counterproductive. I'm not a huge fan of treating fine hair of the face and neck in darker skin types because it is usually hard to treat in the first place and adequate removal is difficult. Quite often the hair is too fine to start with to attract the heat from the laser to get good results. Electrolysis is painful and expensive. You might want to try Vaniqa. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal not working

Thank you for your question. Laser hair removal does not generally require that many treatments, it normally ranges from 5-10. I would recommend consulting with 1-2 different providers that you trust to see what your options are as they can evaluate your skin, you also can ask them about electrolysis as an option.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon