Is it possible to have 1cm added to lengthen my nose to de-rotate the tip? (Photos)

I have always felt unhappy about having a slightly short nose, most of my family members have an average nose that measures 5cm in length.. My nose measures approx 4cm. Would it be possible to add at least 1cm to lengthen my nose and being down the tip to make it look normal?

Lowering the nasal tip

It is definitely possible to lower, or de-rotate the nasal tip.  1cm is quite a bit, and is definitely more than you need. Don't get obsessed with measuring other people's noses.   Go see a rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you computer morphed images of your nose to show you what needs to be done.  In your case, trimming or resetting the front part of the septum would give some illusion of de-rotation.  Otherwise, significant grafting has to be done to push the nasal tip down.  It can be done, however.  See the link below for an example.  Good luck - I can tell in the limited photos that you have beautiful features. Don't let yourself get stuck comparing yourself to others.  

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip projection

Yes, the tip can be possibly derotated a bit. Adding 1 cm of projection would probably not be appropriate for you.

Nasal Tip Derotation

While their is aesthetic benefit to derotating your nose and increasing its tip projection, the amount of 1 cm would be excessive. That is more than you need and may also be more than the tip tissues can tolerate from a blood supply standpoint. Understandably many patients over estimate on the face the amount of augmentation needed by numbers alone.

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

Adding 1 cm to  lengthen the nose will not look balanced and proportional. To decrease the rotation of the tip and reduce the hanging columella, a columella-plasty can be performed to give a natural  and balanced nose.  Digital computer imaging would be helpful to understand what your new nose would look like on your facial features. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Lengthening the short nose.

Lengthening the short nose Is possible with a septal extension graft. This is something we routinely do for revision rhinoplasty. Look at the surgeons before after photos under revision rhinoplasty for many examples. Choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Is it possible to lengthen my nose ?

While the short answer is yes , it is possible , there is a lot more involved in such a decision. First of all, the rest of your family has nothing to do with what your nose should look like since each person's face is a unique situation and balance and symmetry are the overall keys to beauty. While it is hard to tell based on the limited view available , you appear to have a very attractive profile already. The upward tilt of one's nose is determined by the vertical plane of the lip to the more horizontal plane along the bottom of the nose as viewed from the side. We call that the nasolabial angle. In females , it is considered more attractive for it to be slightly open (100 to 110 degrees), whereas it is more masculine to be closer to 90 degrees. Other such things as facial height , the dimensions of upper, middle, and lower face, as well as the shape, location, and volume of surrounding facial structures also come in to play in the determination of nasal shape, length, and width. So , you can see how the length of other family members noses really has no bearing on yours.  At consultation your surgeon can take professional photos and put them on a computer screen and actually change the shape of your nose so you will have an opportunity to see how you would look with a different nose. It is quite enlightening to see this and many times my patients are surprised by what they see. In some cases you can actually choose what length and final shape you prefer and then the surgical goals will be set within the guidelines the surgeons feels is realistic and appropriate for you. Keep in mind , everyone is different and you should find a surgeon who is experienced. Do your homework and don't fall for Internet hype. We live in a world where surgeons are treated like hair salons and an inexperienced surgeon can make an awesome website. Ask your doctor and also ask others.  Basically word of mouth is the safest way to go. I wish you all the best. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lengthening the nose and derotating the tip is possible

While rhinoplasty more commonly aims to shorten/rotate the nose (as in the video below), the opposite can also be achieved. In my hands, a septal extension graft, plus advancement of the upper laterals along the dorsal septum, achieves these goals very reliably. 
Watch rhinoplasty on snapchat @nosebynayak to see these techniques employed.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon