Breast augmentation corrective surgery. Any suggestions?

I had breast implants 420g. 14 months ago placed in front of the muscle, in the last 6 months they have flipped 3 times, my left one once and my right one twice. My surgeon has booked me in for surgery in 2 weeks to remove and replace my implants behind the muscle. Will this correct the problem? Will it change the appearance/ placement of my breasts? Thanks in advance.... Xxx

Breast implants have flipped

Hi and thanks for the question. I would need more information to give you better advice, such as photos and the type ( shape ) of implant used.  I'm assuming you have implants which are not smooth, round, but rather are asymmetric ( tear drop shaped ).  If this is the case, you have two options:  First, placing the implants under the muscle in a very well defined pocket, as your surgeon is suggesting, should fix the problem.  Alternatively, the implants could be replaced with smooth, round implants, which will also fix the flipping problem, however, depending on your specific anatomy and desired surgical outcomes, the shaped implant may be a better option for you. Again, I would need further information to give you ideal advice.Best of luck,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Implant Rotation

Thank you for your question. An exam or photos would be useful to advise you. Placing smooth, round implants under the muscle should completely eliminate the issue of "rotation" as round implants can rotate freely.
I recommend that you continue to share your concerns and discuss with your Plastic Surgeon so that they can provide details for your plan.
All the best

Details provided suggest you have had an anatomical shaped implant

Thank you for your question.  The details provided suggest that you have had subglandular placement of textured anatomical shaped silicone implants. These implants are not round and result in abnormal shaped breasts when they rotate.  Anatomical shaped implants are manufactured with textured surfaces to encourage tissue adherence to reduce likelihood of displacement. If these assumptions are correct then many options that can be exercises to remedy the problem.  In my opinion, replacing the implant with a round implant will essentially eliminate the problem abnormal breast shape since rotation of a round implant does not change the shape.  Since rotation of a round implant is not problematic, it is my preference to use a smooth surface implant. Site change of the implant to a submuscular position is especially important if you wish to downsize or replace with an anatomical shaped implant.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon