What is the range of costs for complete breast removal? And what does the cost depend on?

Does the price of a mtf top surgery (complete breast removal) depend on the size of the breasts being removed? And if so is it more costly having larger breasts getting the reduction because of more removal, or more costly with less breast because there is less to work with? I'm looking for a range of cost with or with out health care.

Top surgery costs to consider.

Thank you for your question. Here is an overview of the procedure.

Mastectomy for transgender men is a procedure that eliminates the breast by removing excess skin and most of the breast tissue. I utilize 5 different procedures and the procedure that is best for you will depend on your body size, your breast size, and the family history of breast cancer. We will make that determination during your consultation. This is a 3 hour outpatient procedure with a 14 day recovery off work, longer if you have a physical–type job. I recommend 4 weeks away from heavy pushing, pulling or lifting.  

We follow the standards of care for transgender healthcare established by WPATH. For gender confirmation surgery (non-genital), a single report from an experienced therapist is necessary. Our patient must be comfortable with the male lifestyle and have a recommendation from a Psychologist or similar licensed professional, demonstrating his commitment to the permanent physical alteration of his body with documented therapy. We also require a letter documenting hormone therapy if hormones are taken.

At the present time, we are not in-network for any of the insurance companies for this procedure!
I can't speak to other surgeon's fees. Our total estimated “cosmetic cost” is $7500-$7900, and this includes the surgical fee, facility fee, anesthesia, and follow-up care including a touchup procedure if needed. I do not use drains or compression garments. Patients traveling from out of town should plan on staying in the Atlanta area for a week after surgery or returning to Atlanta for postop visits, which may add to your costs.

#FTM Chest Masculinization Surgery

I appreciate your question. Cost varies by geographic location, surgeon expertise, OR time, anesthesia, length of procedure etc.  I would recommend that you go to The American Society of Plastic Surgery website and look for a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  You can call their offices in advance and ask for quotes prior to scheduling consultations. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon
#RealSelfCORESurgeon

The range of costs for a double mastectomy will depend, in part, on the particular technique performed.  There will also be some geographical variation as well. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS