Breastfeeding but would like tummy tuck

Am I able to keep breastfeeding and get a tummy tuck? I've read conflicting views on this online, some say you should be finished breastfeeding for 6+ months.

Breastfeeding but would like tummy tuck

Greetings

Thank you for your question. ı would recommed that you finish with the breastfeeding fast then you have organize to have your tummy tuck surgery.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and tummy tuck, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your question with us. 

I recommend you to wait finishing breastfeeding, 6 months post delivery, to perform the tummy tuck to avoid unnecesary risks. 

Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breastfeeding but would like tummy tuck

I agree that you should wait 6 months after breast feeding before tummy tuck. It is important to lose all the "baby weight" before having a tummy tuck.

Breast feeding and tummy tuck

The standard answer is to wait until your are finished breast feeding prior to an abdominoplsaty (tummy tuck).  Medications can affect breast milk and your natural hormones affect your shape and fat content after cessaation of breast feeding.

Congratulations on your child.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Breastfeeding but would like tummy tuck

Because of all the meds you would be on postoperatively, you would not be able to safely breast feed your baby for 8-10 days after the surgery, and maybe longer so better to wait. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breastfeeding

With any major surgery you are given a variety of medications, which can affect your breast milk. Your body is also typically changing after child birth. I would recommend waiting to have surgery until your weight is stable and you're finished breast feeding. Best of luck!

F. Mark Owsley, MD
Coeur d'Alene Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and abdominoplasty?

Your question is a common one - whether or not it is okay to undergo an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck while still breastfeeding.  The information that you found online suggesting that you should wait at least 6 months after completion of breastfeeding is generally good advice.  This is due to the fact that while breastfeeding, there are still hormonal changes going on that will affect your body composition in terms of the ratio of subcutaneous fat to other tissues in the body.  This will affect your weight as well as your body fat percentage.  I suggest that you discuss your concerns with your OB/GYN and/or your primary physician, as well as the surgeon that you've chosen for your abdominoplasty.  I think you'll find that they're in agreement that body contouring surgery should be considered only after you have reached your goal weight and after any other physiologic changes have stabilized.

Best wishes!

Abdominoplasty while breast feeding

I would advise you to wait until after you have finished breast feeding. Abdominoplasty is a major procedure, you will be on a variety of medications duing and after the procedure. There is no compelling reason not to wait.
Best of luck to you.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Wait a bit longer for tummytuck

for a number of reasons, not the least of which is medications you take in the course of surgery will get into the breastmilk, you should not have surgery yet. you should be at least 6 months after delivery and probably a couple months after you stop nursing as well.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck while breast feeding

The answer is no as the anesthesia and pain medication would affect your milk with effects on the baby. You should also be at an optimal post-baby weight. Depending on your personal situation, this could be 3-6 months after breastfeeding.  Don't forget that you will need to have childcare arrangements in place during the postoperative period.