How much do implants drop?

How much do implants drop once they settle?

Drop and fluff

The final result for a breast augmentation or Lift is never really judged until several months from the procedure. Typically, I will wait 6 months before I assess the results. Of course, it can be difficult to be patient while awaiting a result for such a long time, especially when you are excited. But, keep in mind that living human tissues are different than sculpting with plastic or sewing with cloth. Those substances are fixed and don't change much with time. Human tissues, on the other hand, stretch, spread, settle, and change as they go through the different stages of healing. This process takes time and as it proceeds, your result will change until the healing is complete.
This is why plastic surgeons will always advise patience for the first few months after these procedures.
How much they actually settle and drop depends upon genetics, the procedure performed, and the weight and size of the implant.
Dr. Subbio
Philadelphia/Newtown Square
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implants dropping

Implants will descend into the pocket over time. Smooth walled implants under the  muscle tend to ride high initially due to muscle spasm. As the tissues relax, the implants move downward.

Breast implant question

Thank you for your question. The process of breast implants dropping can take several months. This is particularly the case if the implants are placed under the muscle. If placed under the muscle there is generally a time period where your muscle and skin needs to relax to the implant. During this time you will feel hardness and firmness to the breast. I tell my patients not to be discouraged if initially the breast implants seem very high and unnatural. I tend to place my implants exclusively under the muscle. Hope this helps and good luck! 

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants settling

Hi,
 So many details go into this answer.  However, you should expect several days for the swelling to maximize (assuming no lift/submuscular implants) and then during the next weeks there is a loosening of the tissue of the chest to allow the pocket to relax.  As this happens, the implant drops into the pocket that was made at the OR table.  This allows the upper pole of the breast to soften and decrease and then the breast mound becomes more natural.  If a patient is small and the implant large, it may take longer.
 Patients are actually quiet surprised as the shape changes over the weeks  but even when the implants are high, regular clothing can cover the fullness above the nipples quite nicely.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Implant settling

Thank you for your question. Following surgery the tissues are quite swollen. In addition to this the skin and muscle are getting used to accommodating more volume. Once this settles the upper pole tends to soften. This is different for each patient is also varies based on the techniques used in the procedure. b

Best wishes 
Theodore T.Nyame MD 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

How much do implants drop?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately this will depend on each patient based on their unique anatomy.  They are initially held high on the chest due to skin and muscle swelling, which once resolved will allow the implant to drop to the approximate level of each woman's breast crease.  Hope this helps.

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question. The answer will be unique for everyone.  When implants are placed under the muscle and when tissue is tight, the implants can sit high and make the breasts appear slightly squared. Initially the lower poles of the breast may not appear rounded out and full. As tissues soften and slowly expand, the implant can lower slightly and fill out that space in the breast pocket. The implants will rest on the IMF or breast crease, like a shelf.

I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about your expectations and they can let you know what to expect.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implants dropping

An implant dropping refers to the fact that, the implant, although placed in the middle of the pocket created for i,t will move upward in the first few days due to swelling and spasm of the pectoralis muscle. As the muscle relaxes and the swelling abates, the implant will move downward to the lowest portion of the pocket that was created by the surgeon. The rate at which this happens depends on many factors among them are, size of the implant, tightness of the overlying skin envelope and breast and smooth versus textured texture of the shell of the implant. Usually by a few months out, the implant has moved work should be. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

How much do implants drop?

Generally speaking, when breast augmentation is performed a “pocket” is created. Depending on the size and position of the breast implant pockets dissected, as well as the size of the breast implant used, it may take some time for the breast implants to “settle” into the dissected pocket. This process may be referred to as “dropping and fluffing”. It may require 3 to 6 months to occur. Best wishes.

Implants drop?

Implants drop to the extent that the surgeon dissected the anatomy in the lower pole of the breast.  The key is to maintain the natural infra-mammary fold and dissect up to that limit. It can take several weeks to several months to drop in to that pocket. Hope this helps.
Good luck
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon