Implant replacement on one side. Any suggestions?

I was having a pain in my left breast. My doctor said I should only replace the painful one since there were no issues on the other side. He implanted the exact same size and brand of implant back in. I decided to do a mastopexy also. Now my surgery is done, but The side with the new implant now looks much higher, and my breast are very asymetrical . Will it drop and even out over time or am I stuck with crooked breasts?

Implant not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Implant Position

Early on after surgery, the implants tend to sit in a higher position and drop and soften with time. Given that you only had implant replacement on one side, I presume that with time, the implant with drop and you will get the look you want. Good luck on rest of recovery.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon