I am worried about an allergic reaction to Botox, will it be safe to take a Benadryl before?

I get very nervous too! Are there any good statistics on the safety of Botox? I just want to do my forehead area.

Safety of Botox treatment

Botox is the most commonly performed cosmetic medical procedure in the world, and when administered by a qualified physician is extremely safe.  Taking Benadryl prior to a treatment will not positively or negatively affect the results.  

Benadryl and Botox

Dear jchevalier76,
It is perfectly safe to take a Benadryl before Botox injections. I have neither seen nor heard of any cases of allergic reactions to Botox, with many years of injecting experience.

Botox and Safety Profile

Botox is the most common injectable performed in the United States and the chance of having any sort of allergic reaction is extremely rare.  I would discuss your concerns based on your medical history with your physician before your treatment.  If you are very nervous about the cosmetic procedure you should remember that it is elective and perhaps put it off until you are comfortable with the idea.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Botox injections for the best  cosmetic result.

Allergic Reaction To Botox

I have been performing Botox for over ten years now. I think an allergic reaction would be extremely rare. However, if it makes you feel more comfortable, I don't think it would affect your Botox results if you took Benadryl prior to the procedure. You can also ask your doctor to treat you with a smaller amount or limited area for your first time. When you feel more comfortable, you can ask your dermatologist to treat more areas next time. Hope this helps!

Judy K. Chiang, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Allergic reaction to Botox

Botox is the most common procedures in the world and allergic reactions are extremely rare if not unique.
I have been personally injecting Botox for over 15 years and I have not experienced one single allergic reaction so far. Nevertheless, please make sure that the treatment is administered by a qualified practitioner and in a proper medical facility. Premedication with Benadryl is certainly not necessary. 

Luca Russo, MD, MSc
London Plastic Surgeon

Possible Allergic Reaction to Botox

You do not need to be worried about an allergic reaction to Botox as this is exceptionally rare. The thing you should be worried about is who is doing the injection. Not obtaining the results you desire or paralyzing unintended muscles is a much more common problem and is highly related to the experience of the person doing the injection. Therefore, make sure that whomever you choose for your Botox injection has years of experience and is an expert injector. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to Botox

It's fine to pre medicate but unnecessary. It is very unusual to have an allergic reaction to Botox.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

#Botox #safety

Botox is very safe in healthy people. You can follow the link below to look at the specific risks of Botox usage in large study populations. I have never seen someone develop an allergy to Botox. If you want to take Benadryl prior to your appointment that is fine. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rare to have allergy

I have done thousands of Botox injections and have never ever seen an allergy.  However, if you tend to have lots of allergies and sensitivities and would like to take a Benadryl before, it certainly won't hurt anything nor would it alter the effects or longevity of your treatment.  You could also ask the doctor to treat a small area or to be conservative for your first time.  More can always be added later.

Good luck.  I think you will like it!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Allergy to Botox is extremely rare! Don't need to take benadryl

Having an allergy to Botox is very rare.  I wouldn't worry about it.  It is almost reportable.  You don't need to take benadryl.

Steven F. Weiner, MD