I'm 5'5 and 215lbs. How much weight should I lose before having a Mommy Makeover?

Mommy Makeover

Hi & thank you for your question.

Ultimately you want to be as close to your goal weight as possible, to achieve the best possible result.Contact a board certified plastic surgeon for his/her recommendations. Best of luck!

Weight loss

Thank you for your question.  Without photos and more importantly, an in-person evaluation, it is nearly impossible to tell you what your goal weight should be.  Please be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what your goal weight should be before undergoing surgery.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Healthy weight

The key to long standing success is a stable weight. If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before a mommy makeover.

Everyone's fat distribution and body proportions are different.  Liposuction and abdominoplasty cannot and do not address fat inside your abdominal cavity.    In general, best results are achieved if you can get your BMI below 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty.   Being 5'5" you would want to get your weight under 180lbs.  Your results would be even better if you could get your weight even lower (and keep it there) but that is not a realistic goal for most people.  

I appreciate your question.

Best to have your BMI below 30 or be 10 lbs within your goal weight and be stable at that weight for 3 months prior to surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Weight loss before mommy makeover

To reduce the incidence of complications from surgery, you would likely need to lose between 30-40 lbs before having a mommy makeover. You can consult with a few plastic surgeons now or as you begin to lose weight so you have a better idea of which procedures are best for your anatomy. Not only will you have fewer complications at a lower weight, but your cosmetic result will also be improved.

William Bruno, MD

Ideal weight before Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the question MrsNika

Your current BMI/Body-Mass-Index is 35.  Most surgeons recommend losing weight to reduce BMI to below 30.  Getting your BMI below 30 improves many issues related to the surgery including reduced complications with wound healing, DVT/PE as well as an improved cosmetic result.  Many surgeons will refer patients in your situation to a reputable medical weight loss center who specialize in the lifestyle changes needed to lose and keep weight off.  A mommy makeover as a goal for an enhanced body can be an excellent motivator.

Best of luck. 

BMI under 30 has a lower complication rate

Your BMI is 35.77. 
The complication rate is higher and the aesthetic result is better the closer you get to your ideal body weight. 
180 pounds gets your BMI down to 29.95. 
150 pounds gets your BMI down to 24.96. 

You will be safer below 180. 
Your best aesthetic result wil be under 150. 

Ideal Weight for Mommy Makeover

When undergoing a combined breast and abdominal procedure, it is best to have a BMI less than 30.  Your results will last longer and be more predictable.  This reduced weight will also decrease your risks for serious complications from the surgery.  It is best to see a plastic surgeon in person to discuss these issues.  Also, be sure to have a realistic goal weight that you can maintain after surgery.  Weight fluctuations after surgery can lessen your results.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Healthy weight

Each person is different so there is no set weight however ideally the BMI is 30, or at least below 35.  Speak to your plastic surgeon

Martin Jugenburg, MD