Labiaplasty looks infected but surgeon says all is ok after check 4 days post op, second opinion needed. (photos)

Had a labiaplasty on Friday- 5 days po but I'm still in pain, odd smell and looking white/off yellow on sideLooks like a small creator in the skin that's got a brown/greyish covering. Visited Surgeon yesterday who said I'm healing well. Told him about the odour, he said I was being over contious. Stitches are digging in on either side of my inner labia wanted a second opinion as I'm being very thourough with spray bottle etc but feel like there's an infection my surgeon now away until Monday

Labiaplasty looks infected but surgeon says all is ok after check 4 days post op, second opinion needed.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately your labiaplasty is not healing well and the area of gray brown covering and white/off yellow color is the result of burned skin edges and a wound separation.  Additionally your incision pattern is not well-designed or performed.  Because of your swelling and current stage of healing you need to allow your tissues to fully recover and heal in a conservative manner before finding a labiaplasty surgeon to perform a revision.  

Yet another wedge labiaplasty falls apart

Your wedge labiaplasty has fallen apart on both sides and it will need to be revised in no sooner than six months. Wedge labiaplasties have the weakest scars of all techniques even when executed to perfection. Unfortunately, it does not appear that your sutures were strong enough or sufficiently placed to handle the extreme tension generated by this technique. Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Labiaplasty complication

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You have some separation of your repair with the right side more separated than the left.  You will heal and hopefully not need a revision. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

The skin edges after labiaplasty often have a reddish cast and a sticky yellow discharge which is actually platelets & white blood cells healing the area. You don't appear infected. UNFORTUNATELY however, it appears that your doc did not place underneath "scaffolding" subcutaneous sutures to eliminate "dead space" and hold things together UNDERNEATH, and either your activities and probably your tugging/separating activities have pulled things apart.KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF IT, let it totally heal (will take another 6-8 weeks (!!) and see what it all looks like. You may need a revision, but too early to tell. If you do need a revision, see ONLY a super-specialist who is very skilled at revisions... The link below may help...

Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Wedge resection breakdown

Thanks for sharing.  This is not atypical of someone who has received an aggressive wedge resection surgery which is not healing well.  You really need to just sit back and let the area heal for the next 12 weeks and reevaluate at that time.  This may heal just fine but then again a revision might be in order.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty looks infected?

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having post-op, and thank you for asking your question here. I am sorry to inform you that your labiaplasty is not healing well and I do suggest finding a second board certified plastic surgeon in the England area in order to receive a second opinion that includes an in-person exam. At this point in time I would see your plastic surgeon again on Monday and reiterate your concerns. If he insists you are healing just fine, visit another doctor who will help guide you through the healing process and provides extensive knowledge on labiaplasty and revision of labiaplasty. Best wishes, friend.

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD