Cost to Remove Large Lipoma on Back?

How Big is a Large Lipoma? Mine is the Size of a Boneless Chicken Breast--at Least 4-5 In. I noticed this about 8 years ago and the Dr. told me not to worry about it unless it got bigger. It's gotten bigger, albeit slowly, but it's now the size of a boneless chicken breast--that's what I call it (or my back boob). It can be seen through my shirt and I'd like to get it removed but can't afford it if it's considered elective cosmetic surgery. I want it removed before it gets bigger! How much would it cost?

Cost to Remove Large Lipoma on Back?

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. 

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Options for back lipomas and removal of back lipomas

Lipoma surgery is relatively straightforward and the costs include professional fees and surgery center fees. Your large lipoma will likely be removed under local anesthetic, unless you have specific medical problems that must be addressed.  Surgical fees vary from city to city, but your best bet would be to go to a board certified plastic surgeon for the lipoma removal. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Removal of a symptomatic lipoma is usually not considered cosmetic surgery

Lipoma removal, particularly symptomatic ones like yours, is usually not considered to be cosmetic in nature. Therefore, it most probably would be covered by your insurance. The total cost to you would depend on your particular insurance plan.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Its covered by insurance

its covered by insurance. it is a back mass which is symptomatic and enlarging.  i am a plastic sugeon who removes many of these. i even use tumescent anesthesia sometimes to remove large ones in the office. i always send them off to the pathologist too to make sure nothing is found in the tissue removed. the chance is remote but it is safest to send all tissues off. i once found a basal cell carcinoma in a skin tag.