Do I have undereye bags? (photos)

Do I have undereye bags or some other problem. My lower eyelid had had a bulge ever since I rememeber, but it seems to have gotten worse after a series of electrolysis treaments on my cheeks. Is there a treatment

Lower eyelid bulges

Dear Redniharika,

The bulges I see are not "bags" because bags are formed by fat that herniates out between the muscle fibers of the lower eyelid.  It seems to me, from your photos, that there is a ridge of muscle that is hypertrophied.  Hypertrophy is seen in bulging biceps, for example, when you overwork them.  Here, the lower eyelid muscle (orbiculares oculus) hypertrophy is likely caused by squinting.  While it is almost impossible to correct this problem, you can prevent it from exacerbating, by wearing sunglasses daily...even on cloudy days---to prevent squinting.  Sometimes Botox can reduce this ridge, but full aesthetic elimination is not possible without causing a functional impairment. 

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Treatment for Bags under the Eyes

Hi and thank you for sharing your picture and concern here. In general, smooth hyaluronic acid fillers such as Belotero and Restylane are good choices for the treatment under the eyes. We can also do laser and PRP to improve the results as well. I personally use flexible micro-cannula for the injection in this area. This a very neat technique and results tend to be very natural, with minimal amount of bruising and discomfort for the patient. Saying that, by looking at your picture it does not seem that you have significant bags under the eyes that might warrant treatment at this time. I hope it helps and good luck!

Elham Jafari, MD
Irvine Physician

Lower eyelid bags

Thank you for your question.  Based on the photos provided, the lower eyelid "bulge" is your normal anatomy and from the muscle in the area (i.e. orbicularis muscle), and not necessarily from protruting lower eyelid fat. I would consider being evaluated by a specialist for non-surgical treatments, such as dermal filler, lasers or peels to address the issue. 

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under Eye Treatment - Multiple Options Available

The under eye are is best treated with fillers like Belotero, lasers, peels, and micro-needling with PRP. Please see an expert to discuss the best treatment options for you.

A normal finding

The "bags" you see are formed by a normal structure within your eyelid called the tarsus. Since this structure if of functional significance, it cannot be removed. A filler could be used lower in the tear trough area to soften the concavity below and make the tarsus ridge less apparent. 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon