Which is better TCA spot peel QS Laser (3) OR by topical method to treat the brown PIH. (photos)
Doctor Answers 1
Hyperpigmented scar after trauma
Thank you for asking about your right facial hyperpigmented scar.
- Judging by your photo, you seem to have had a 'road burn' injury over you right cheek bone, with skin thinned in the center and hyperpigmentation around it.
- The central scarring cannot be removed - scars are permanent damage to the skin.
- I assume your doctor intends the Fraxel to make the scar smoother and the TCA sot peel and Q-switch laser to fade the color.
- Although these may be effective, I would consider it essential to pre-treat the skin with skin lightener and tretinoin (generic Retin A) so that these treatments don't themselves cause more hyper-pigmentation.
- If these pre-treatments fat\de the brown color - they are not likely to do so but it can happen - then you may not need the others.
- You might first try 100% cocoa or shea butter on the damaged skin - I have many patients who say this fades skin discoloration that prescription treatments failed to improve.
- Be sure you know from your doctor exactly what the purpose and sequence is of each treatment - and be sure to ask for skin pretreatment.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.