I'm suffering from Gynecomastia. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

Hello, I am 23 and weigh 98 kgs. I am suffering from Gynecomastia since 2012 and till now it is not getting corrected. Help me!

Doctor Answers 13

About Gynecomastia and Treating It

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

I'm suffering from Gynecomastia. What treatment would you recommend?

I would have to examine you to give you the best recommendation. Look at reviews and before and after pictures as well as credentials to select your surgeon.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Plastic Surgeon To Determine Best Gynecomastia Procedure

There are varying degrees of gynecomastia ranging from puffy nipple to severe breast enlargement and/or breast sag. The severity of the gynecomastia will determine which treatment option is necessary. In most cases, men suffer from standard gynecomastia, which can be surgically treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. For more severe cases, it may be recommended that you have your procedure under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgery center. Your consultation will determine which option is best suited for treating your gynecomastia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

I'm suffering from Gynecomastia. What treatment would you recommend? (photos)

In my practice, I would perform a combination surgery with liposuction and direct excision of breast tissue, particularly under the nipple areola complex.  Good luck and be safe. 

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

Treatment for Gynecomastia

Male breast reduction is the only way to address your case of gynecomastia. Most patients require a combination of liposuction and gland removal for best results. Surgery can be performed under general or twilight anesthesia (we prefer the twilight method), and recovery is usually quite manageable for most guys. You'd be back to work in a few days to a week, and back to most or all activities in a month or so, provided you follow post-op instructions.

It takes skill and experience to sculpt natural looking chest contours. Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who performs a great many male breast reductions annually and arrange a consultation. You should get all the information you need to make decisions.

If you like, you can visit our website dedicated to gynecomastia. A great deal of information is available there.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Gynecomastia Correction

It is dificult to know the exact approach without an in person consultation, but you do not appear to have excess skin. You look like you could be a great candidate. I have posted several information videos on realself (link below) about gynecomastia surgery. The videos might help you ask questions that will help you find the best plastic surgeon for you

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 118 reviews

Suffering from Gynecomastia. What can be done?

Hello and thank you for your question.
The best way to correct this is to perform liposuction of the fatty tissue of the breast and excision of the glandular tissue. This can all be done through incisions that are essentially barely, if at all visible. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of Luck to you!

David L. Cangello, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews


I usually solve the problem with a combination of liposuction and excision of the excess tissue. The scars are tiny and disappear quickly. You need a consultation to see exactly what is needed.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

I'm suffering from Gynecomastia. What treatment would you recommend?

You might be one of the cases that requires excision of skin and tissue. But over the internet to hard to determine. Best to seek IN PERSON opinions... 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

I'm suffering from Gynecomastia. What treatment would you recommend?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns regarding breast size/shape.  Generally speaking, assuming a young man has achieved a long-term stable weight and there are no “causative agents” involved, surgery may be indicated to treat persistent gynecomastia.  It is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue alone , then liposuction surgery may suffice.  When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.