Is it possible to reduce the bulgy appearance of my eyes? (photos)

I would like to know various treatments to reduce my bulgy eye My thyroid checkups are normal and I get inherited this from my father Thanks for the answers

Doctor Answers 5

Bulging eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many causes of bulging eyes but when they occur without thyroid disease it is often a cosmetic problem but can also cause dryness.  There are several options form moving the eyes back to camouflaging the prominence.  We specialize in moving the eyes back and reducing the bulging but this is very specialized and you should seek an opinion from an orbital and oculoplastic surgeon who has done hundreds of these cases.  Downside can be double vision but in the right hands it is very low.

Is it possible to reduce the bulgy appearance of my eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is a treatment for bulging eyes but it is not for everyone. You have to be evaluated.  See following link for more information, videos, etc.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Bulging eyeballs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bulging eyeballs can be improved significantly with surgery.  You should see an experienced oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation first.


Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Bulging eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The most common reason for this is a hyperactive thyroid, but you would need a CT scan to make sure nothing else is going on. Once it has been stable for 6 months an oculoplastic surgeon can do an orbital decompression to allow the eye to sink back.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, there is surgery to reduce the prominence of your eye, but it is very specialized. I would suggest meeting with an oculoplastic surgeon to discuss all your concerns. Sometimes, surgery on the lower lids can improve your looks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.