Redness of Donor area and thinning. Could you advise the progress of Hair transplant? (photo)

I had a FUE transplant 2 weeks back (3500 grafts) in 2 sessions. There is still redness in the donor area and itching. Doctor advised 3rd session after 2 months. Should I go for 3rd session? Looking at photos could you please advise the Progress on transplant and the recovery time for donor area

If you had a hair transplant and experiencing issues, it is best to contact your doctor. You shouldn't be thinking of another s

If you had a hair transplant and experiencing issues, it is best to contact your doctor. You shouldn't be thinking of another surgery only after 2 weeks.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Redness in the donor area

You report Redness in the donor area at 2 weeks. I would worry about an infection so I would go back to your doctor and get an examination.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many FUE can I have?

It is not possible to answer this question fully because I am not able to see your first set of photos.I advise waiting 6-9 months to see how the donor area grows back and the  decide. Overharvesting of the donor area (taking more than one is supposed to) is a serious problem. 

Redness after a hair surgery

The redness occurs  because the hair transplant surgeon needs to make hundreds or even thousands of tiny slits in the scalp so that hairs can be extracted and inserted as needed. These tiny slits can be compared to very small wounds, so it is completely normal for the skin to react by becoming red. Due to the fact that clients are given antibiotics before the surgery, the scalp is not likely to get infected. But if the redness seems excessive, abnormal and comes with pain  and swelling it can indeed be signs of an infection and the doctor should be contacted. But a scalp that is just red is completely normal and not a reason to worry.The exact degree of redness that will follow a hair transplant is hard to predict in advance. The redness will depend on several different factors, with one being the skin complexion of the individual. Pale individuals might experience more redness that lasts longer than those with dark skin where the redness may never be noticeable. Those with sensitive and reactive skin might also have more redness than others. Healthy individuals with good healing abilities will heal faster and have less redness than others. Luckily, the redness after a hair transplant will for most people go away after a couple of weeks and the skin will go back to its regular tone
All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon