Recovery time for closed rhinoplasty. Will my nose become more smaller and refined after 4 months? (photos)

Hi everyone. I have undergone closed rhinoplasty to reduce the bulkiness of the nose. The process which was done during the operation was 1. Lateral osteotomy was performed. 2. Lower lateral cartilage was removed. 3. Weir excision was performed. Will my nose become smaller and will my tip become little sharper ? How long will it take to reach the final shape. ?

Healing time after closed rhinoplasty

The short answer is yes.  You should experience gradual shaping and refinement of your nose for at least 1 to 2 years following surgery. That said, the most dramatic shrinkage often occurs in the first 3 to 4 months after the procedure. From this point forward, refinement of your nose will be slow and gradual and cannot be judged on a week to week basis. The final shape will be determined by the ultimate thickness of your skin as well as the shape and strength of the underlying cartilage framework. I would suggest that you continue to see your surgeon to assess whether any intervention (e.g. steroid injection) would prove helpful.  After a year or so it would be reasonable to discuss whether additional refinement is needed or justified.  I wish you the very best.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

By 4 months, 60-75% of seeking has come down already. A full year is needed for the rest of the swelling to come down. With closed rhinoplasty the swelling can come down a little faster but having thicker skin can slow that down. 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

It can take up to a year for the swelling in the nasal tip to go down so that you can appreciate the final results. Best of luck.

Postoperative swelling

After reviewing your photos, it appears that you have very thick skin - one obstacle to achieving a fast recovery.  The nose will continue to change for up to a year, and I would recommend you relaying your concerns to your surgeon.  Over time, I am sure you will be happy with the results.  Best wishes!

Recovery time for closed rhinoplasty.

Although, the surgeons can change bone and cartilage-- with a situation of thick skin- it's often a challenge to achieve the greatest degree of refinement that we seek. Resolution of swelling in time most likely reveal a more elegant looking nose, this will take an unpredictable amount of time. Sometimes, with thick skin- we may need to add substances for example - implants or cartilage to achieve our final appearance.