The left side of my chest has a small lump after gynecomastia surgery. What should I do?

I had gynecomastia surgery 3 weeks ago bilateral excision, but now when i notice my right chest is normal but left chest has a small lump what should i do now?

Lumps Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

It is too early to comment on the small lump you are feeling. It could be small amount of blood in your tissues or it could be some residual gland (More likely the former). Please talk to your Plastic Surgeon who can examining you and reassure you.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Small lump after gynecomastia surgery

This can be one of a number of things. Follow up with your operating surgeon for an examination. They know what they did at surgery and can advise you best.

Lump after Gynecomastia

This may be swelling, or may be a fluid collection or other issue. Best to be examined by your surgeon so that he or she can provide reassurance or appropriate treatment.

John A. Perrotti, MD