How much does masseter muscle shrink depending on botox unit administration for masseter reduction?

hi. I would like to know how much shrinkage the masseter muscle will undergo when, say, 5 units of botox is administered to the masseter muscle for masseter reduction. I dont know if there is a way to measure the shrinkage or approximate measure can be said, but if there is any way to tell how much the masseter muscle will shrink it will be really usefull. I am opting for botox injection to treat masseter hypertrophy, hence in the process of learning the details. Thanks

Botox to masseter

Using Botox or one of the neuromodulators in the masseter can be an excellent way of slimming the face. It also can help with jaw clenching.  It needs to be performed by a specialist who is comfortable with experience in treating this area because the number of units will depend on how much improvement you get.  Generally, 20 to 30 units are injected depending on the size of the masseter and the level of improvement desired.  I have found that over time, the masseter will actually atrophy and sometimes can last as long as 6 months, longer than some of the other aesthetic Botox injections.  My patients who get masseter injections are able to get them just twice a year, whereas we do some of the other facial injections more often.  As with anything, over time, the muscles tend to be retrained, and tend to need less product and injections less often.  So seek out an expert in this area and discuss with them the results that you can get. Best of luck.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter Reduction

Thanks for your question!  Botox is an awesome way to help with masseter hypertrophy.  I typically recommend at least 25-30 units per side.  I think that 5 units will not be enough to warrant results.  Best of luck to you!

Botox for masseter muscles

I don't think you will see much result with 5 units. I commonly start with an injection of 15-30 units into each masseter muscle. The result is noticeable based on photography and symptoms (grinding) but hard to quantify.

Botox and Results -- MASSETER

If you use enough dosing 30-60 units you can get atrophy of the masseter muscle over time  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jaw muscle reduction with Botox

5 units is typically not enough to provide noticeable results due to the considerable size and strength of the average masseter muscle.  I usually start with at least 15-20 units or more per side (off-label) and the response is based on muscle size seen in serial photographs and subjective muscle strength felt when biting.  

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

More doses can help more

Small doses such as five units can help a little. Higher doses such as 10, 15, or 20 can help even more.It will take some trial to find the best dose to help you achieve your goals.Start small to medium and work up from there.