My male breasts have been there since my teenage and only increased in size over the years? (Photos)

Is this extreme form of gynecomastia? Is surgery the only way to reduce this ? Please advise.

Doctor Answers 14

My male breasts have been there since my teenage and only increased in size over the years? (Photos)

Based on the photos, you have gynecomastia.  Surgical excision is the best way to treat this condition. Good luck.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 294 reviews

Gynecomastia Concern Since Teen Years

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews


Some men carry extra weight in the belly and some men carry it in the chest. If you lost weight the fat in your chest would be less. Without an exam I cannot tell if you have fat or breast tissue causing your gynecomastia. Surgery will remove the extra tissue and correct your concerns.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Yes and yes.

This appears to be a clear case of gynecomastia.  The part that cannot be clarified is whether you have much fatty component.  If you do, liposuction might be enough to yield the result that you are after.

However, I will say that not all of my male patients are happy with the flattening of the chest that liposuction alone can achieve.  They prefer to have even the small bud of breast tissue underneath the nipple removed via a direct excision, and this is more needed as the size of the gland increases.

As stated, there are no non-surgical solutions that will yield a satisfactory result.  Be very suspicious of advice to the contrary.  Ask to see photos of the results, and even better, ask to speak to patients who were treated non-surgically.

Best of luck.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD, FACS
Ogden Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Gynecomastia options

Thank you for your inquiry. Gynecomastia can be corrected with surgical procedures. Liposuction alone often is not the answer usually there is a portion of excision required. You should seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation. They should be able to advise you what option is best and give you a quote for the cost involved. It is rare for insurance to cover this.

Alan L. Stephens, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Advise for gynecomastia surgery

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 159 reviews


All-together you are a good candidate for gynecomasta surgery,but my advice to you is to do a thorough search until you will find a real expert .Do not compromise.. 

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Male chest issue

If it feels mostly like fat, then liposuction alone may be reasonable.  Sometimes direct excision of gland +/- skin is necessary.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews


Your photos demonstrate moderate gynecomastia which appears to be amenable to liposuction alone. Physical exam needed to confirm treatment. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews


You appear to have gynecomastia which can only be improved via surgery. The two methods are liposuction and formal resection. Given the degree involved here, surgery would likely require a combined approach but that determination can only be made after consultation and an actual examination. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.