Ischemia after hair transplantation, FUE 1000 grafts forehead. post op bled a lot.

after 1month, still dark+brown+purplish band on forehead. Doctor denies. he says this is perfect, it's the himoglobin color that has seeped into the skin. It cant be true. (It was done by a technician, not the doctor. he said it's the same all over the world).. I'm now devastated. Im using arnica hair oil now. it's giving me some good results. Hoping for the best. :( so sad.

Ischemia after Hair Transplant

The first concern is having a hair transplant done by an unlicensed individual and not the doctor.  Patients need to do more research before they decide to go through with this procedure.  I have not encountered yet a purplish band around the forehead however this could be bruising and generally will go away with time. It could be due to the recipient sites being created too big or too deep or a combination of both.  Without photo's it is difficult to tell however this is not normal 10 days after a hair transplant.  I would recommend reporting the physician to the ISHRS for allowing an unlicensed individual perform surgery on you.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Go see a doctor

It seems you lost your trust in your doctor.  If you believe something went wrong and you want a second opinion, you need to see a doctor in person so the doctor can examine you.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Problems with FUE

Get a second opinion ASAP. You need an expert to tell you what is happening to your head if your doctor will not tell you.  

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pigmentation after hair transplantation

Without photos it's difficult to tell. But from what you describe I would say you have postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. The doctor is correct in stating that the hemosiderin or iron pigment from blood seeps into the surrounding tissues and causes that discoloration that you're describing. If you are darker complected this is more likely to happen. At one month you are still very early in the postop healing process. It often takes 3 to 6 months for the pigmentation to resolve. As far as the technician placing grafts versus the doctor, this is the standard of care in most hair transplant practices around the world.

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist